Old bow, no new tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old bow, no new tricks

Over the last couple years I find myself drooling over new bows like Mathews, Elite, Hoyt and I always talk myself out of it for a couple reasons.

Here are my reasons (excuses):
    1. I have only hunted with it a few times (completely missed my first pig)
    2. Despite its age it has been a case queen and never abused.
    3. Had it restrung once...yeah once
    4. I haven't had a lot of opportunities to hunt in the last 5 years to make a new bow worth it.
    (Trying to turn that around)

So here is what I have:
    I can't remember the year I bought it but it is a PSE Brute I purchased from Cabelas and it seems sluggish after it was restrung.

I'm not asking for anyone to tell me to "Just shoot it" or "buy a new one", I am curious what advantages or disadvantages I am running up against here.

If your not hunting much I dont see why you would buy a new one

Comment

Old bow, no new tricks

There is no sound functional reason to buy a new bow. The laws of physics determine how fast a bow shoots and the practical limit was reached about 10yrs ago. People talk about hand shock and vibration but I have yet to determine how something that happens AFTER you shoot the bow affects how you shoot the bow.

If you want a new bow go get you one but don’t let anyone tell you that you need one. For the record, I’m referring to flagship bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 175gr7.62; 11-09-2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I shot the same compound for over 10 years. Every couple of years when I got the itch for the latest and greatest I learned to quit thinking about it until the urge passed. I would remember that bow was state-of-the-art when it was new, it still shot great and the latest model wouldn’t kill them any deader. The marginal advantage of spending another $1,000 was not worth it. That is not to bash, constantly upgrading to the latest is worth it to some and that is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
          People talk about hand shock and vibration but I have yet to determine how something that happens AFTER you shoot the bow affects how you shoot the bow.

Same way recoil causes some people to shoot a rifle poorly. If you flinch waiting for the grip to jump or big vibration, you will not be as accurate. I guess if you only shoot your bow a few times a year or right before the season you won't care. If you shoot a lot and year round having a bow with low vibes or dead in the hand is nice for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
            Same way recoil causes some people to shoot a rifle poorly. If you flinch waiting for the grip to jump or big vibration, you will not be as accurate. I guess if you only shoot your bow a few times a year or right before the season you won't care. If you shoot a lot and year round having a bow with low vibes or dead in the hand is nice for sure.

If you’re shooting enough and doing it properly you shouldn’t be flinching at all. Thats target panic and it’s not cured by shooting a bow that jumps less

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post

I’m going to say that is the most violent shooting bow made today causes someone grief and anxiety they may have issues that a smooth shooting bow won’t fix.

Comment

If you invest in a new one, it’s a big investment.... therefore an incentive to shoot it more.... and hunt more. I promise it works that way

I can give you a bow and your shooting habits and hunting habits will stay the same. Invest some coin and you WILL shoot more.

Same with a guitar, get handed one and your bored with it in 2 weeks. Drop $1500 on one and you learn to play it and play it more often. Not that one is better than the other, just how most people function

Comment

Thanks guys. There are some great perspectives on this point.

I will add a couple points here as well.

The PSE Brute is and has been an awesome bow for me and shoots very well as I have spent many hours on the range drilling the little orange target holders at 20,30 & 40 yds. When I missed my first attempt at a group of pigs was definitely my fault and very early in my bow shooting education and since then I have logged many hours on the range to make sure that didn't happen again.

Comment

Based on last post, keep shooting it, you are familiar with it and fits your needs.

Comment

I agree with the above. IF you know the bow and are comfortable with it. Don't change. Sure new bows are just that. NEW. And next year something else will be available, and then the next and so on. The best part for me is to be able to handle what you hold. I am going to completely agree with 175grn7.62 here. AND I shoot almost daily either with traditional bows or compound most of the year. So I don't want that BS about if you shoot more. That's another excuse in my book.
                      Shoot the bow that you like. If that bow just feels bad to you or you cannot shoot it, then sure find one that does fit. We all are made different.

Comment

I have not shot a compound d in 8 years. I do have a PSE maurader that I bought in a pawn shop in 1994 I believe. It was a year or two old when I got it. I hunted with it and killed a lot of stuff. I still have it in the barn. If I ever desire to shoot it again I'll get it re strung.
                        It creaks when I draw, it makes noise when I release but when the target is 10-15 yds away it dont matter much. I also traded for a Brute several years ago. Figured I needed an upgrade.
                        Never once shot it, loaned it to a fella who I never heard from again and never thought about it again.

Comment

Don't get caught up in the marketing and the flashy stuff. If your set up that you have now is working for you there's no need to change it up. If you really want a new bow you can get a top of the line model that's a few years old and spend considerably less. The technology hasn't really changed THAT much over the past 5-10 years to justify the new bow prices, IMO. Most of it is just flashy hype to get people to buy the newest trend.

I shot a reflex excursion for years and never had any issues with accuracy, lack of penetration, lack of speed, etc. It was deadly within 25 yards which is what most people's feeders are set up at anyway. I did upgrade 2 years ago and bought a mid-level Hoyt that was about 6-7 years old and it'll kill anything just as dead as the new top of the line bows.

Comment

I still hunt with my 23yr old bow from CSS. It shoots great so no reason to change bows. Only thing I've changed in the last 20+yrs is my release, Scott to Carter, arrows beman outserts to beman ICS and rest(TM hunter to QAD drop rest).

Comment

Working...
                            X