Get Him While He is Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get Him While He is Down

A buddy from Cotulla called me early this morning to tell about something that he witnessed yesterday. While driving by a stock tank he saw a coyote standing near where he had called up and killed two others about daylight. Just above the "free" coyote was a red tailed hawk sitting on a snag about 5 feet off the ground.
    At the impact of the bullet into the coyote, the hawk was on him, grabbing him in the shoulder with one talon and in the hip/flank area with the other. He watched the hawk for a few minutes and drove off. When he came back 20-30 minutes later, the hawk was still on the coyote.
    Adios,
    Gary

Read that a couple times and still don't get it. The hawk was trying to carry away the dead 'yote?

Comment

Pics ??

Comment

Sounds like the hawk was getting revenge! Wonder if the ( or any ) coyote had taken the hawks kills before or something. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          Read that a couple times and still don't get it. The hawk was trying to carry away the dead 'yote?
          This. I don't know what is meant by "free' coyote (?)

Comment

Originally posted by ATXBowhunter View Post
            This. I don't know what is meant by "free' coyote (?)
            He didn't have to call it in.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Free coyote probably means that he wasn't in a snare or anything...The hawk was probably trying to carry away the yote.

Comment

Hawk was scavenging a free meal--

Comment

Comment

We were quail hunting near Archer city one year, and we had tons of hawks. the local wheat crop had been knocked down by weather, and the rodent population had soared. Well, the hawks would shadow us as we hunted, and if you winged a quail, they would follow it down and nab it before any dog would get there. It took no time to train the hawks. I know we have lots of hawks that winter here, but seems like you could look around and see 20+ hawks at any time.
                    Last edited by double bogey; 01-04-2018, 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Back in my tractor mowing days I'd see the hawks post up as I cut the tall weeds. I would start on the outer edges and move toward the center. As the uncut weed patches got smaller, the big field mice and rats would begin to scurry and the hawks would swoop down again and again. It got to where they would follow the tractor every time I went out to mow. I guess it was like a dinner bell to them when they heard that brush hog crank up. It was pretty fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                        Hawk was scavenging a free meal--
                        Nothing wrong with that LOL

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                          We were quail hunting near Archer city one year, and we had tons of hawks. the local wheat crop had been knocked down by weather, and the rodent population had soared. Well, the hawks would shadow us as we hunted, and if you winged a quail, they would follow it down and nab it before any dog would get there. It took no time to train the hawks. I know we have lots of hawks that winter here, but seems like you could look around and see 20+ hawks at any time.
                          I've had similar experiences with hawks while dove hunting. Retrieving a downed bird was sometimes a race between me and a hawk! It seems they learned to hang around fields where shots were being fired.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                            Back in my tractor mowing days I'd see the hawks post up as I cut the tall weeds. I would start on the outer edges and move toward the center. As the uncut weed patches got smaller, the big field mice and rats would begin to scurry and the hawks would swoop down again and again. It got to where they would follow the tractor every time I went out to mow. I guess it was like a dinner bell to them when they heard that brush hog crank up. It was pretty fun to watch.
                            Yes sir! It doesn't take long for the hawks to get accustomed to the tractor headed out to the pasture

Comment

It's cool how nature adapts. Like the animals in this thread, to the pair of mockingbirds who won't get within 20' of me until I fire up the lawnmower, then they practically get underfoot after bugs.

Comment

Working...
                              X