Heterodyning and bowstring silencers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heterodyning and bowstring silencers

This tip requires a bit of radio theory and brain work. The subject is heterodyning. A very basic definition is two different frequencies that are combined to produce two new frequencies: the sum and difference of the two original frequencies. What does this have to do with traditional archery equipment? Well, knowing this fact

Heterodyning...
    I stumbled upon this new to me term whilst perusing this OG/TBH glossary of archery terms.

Pretty cool. Quick read.

Synopsis => (...insert SwampRabbit)

https://tradbow.com/glossary-of-archery-terms/ Cool links
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-29-2018, 10:44 PM.

Interesting stuff, Briar!

Comment

I was also curious to know if anybody here has tried this method of string silencing. I searched and nobody has made mention of this particular method of bowstring silencer placement.

Comment

The science behind the theory is sound (pun intended).

It does work to some, and varying degrees, but often (very often) you can't hear, or notice a difference (even using a db meter).

What I can tell you for sure is - moving the silencers that far to the interior of the string will/does rob string speed, thus robbing energy which would otherwise be delivered to the arrow, thus less speed of the arrow.

I'm a stickler for a quiet bow, but I'm also a stickler for squeezing every bit of energy I can get out of the bow, and into the arrow. To that end, and since I've only ever been able to see marginal gains by using the heterodyning placement of the silencers, I keep my silencers evenly spaced, and no farther from the contact points than I absolutely have to place them.

YMMV

Rick

Comment

If that is the 1/4, 1/3 spacing of the silencers on the string, it does not work for me!!!! I tried it, and the string immediately started slapping my arm. Went back to my normal placement, which is the length of my bow square from either end of the string, and no arm slap. I like no arm slap waaaaay better!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            If that is the 1/4, 1/3 spacing of the silencers on the string, it does not work for me!!!! I tried it, and the string immediately started slapping my arm. Went back to my normal placement, which is the length of my bow square from either end of the string, and no arm slap. I like no arm slap waaaaay better!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Yep, it does create a significant amount of forward string travel when you add weight toward the middle of the string.

Hey, that's power stroke !!!!! LOL
            Contrary to popular belief, that don't work, especially when you're getting it with string weight.

Rick

Comment

Working...
            X