Luck was with me yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luck was with me yesterday

So, I am at the lease by myself yesterday hunting an axis. I was hoping to see one of the big boys that have been on my camera. A few little spikes come and go and a few whitetail doe come in. They pick their head up and look behind me. In walks an axis in full velvet. He is only about 27 inches, but pretty wide. I look him over to make sure his antlers are about done growing and decide to take him. This would be my first ever Axis and first animal in velvet. I get settled in, pin tight behind the shoulder ( perfect broadside shot at 25 yards ) and let her fly. I watched my fletchings disappear where the pin was and saw the arrow kick up dirt on the other side. The axis bolted and jumped out of the feed pin and stopped. I was patting myself on the back waiting on the death wobble.....and I waited.....and I waited. I could see blood running out, but he would not go down and I did not have a clear second shot. 30 minutes has now passed and he is still standing there. I try to ease out of the blind to get a follow up, the whitetail ( who continued to eat this whole time ) busted me. The axis started walking off. here is where it was just one bad thing after another started to happen. As he turned to walk off I could not believe my eyes....remember the perfect broadside shot? Well some how the arrow took a hard right turn and came out at his flank. To make matters worse it was getting dark fast. I started pushing him pretty hard because he would only trot a few yards and start walking again. I follow this guy a long ways and he jumps the fence and i about panic. It was just almost too dark to see him and he was walking away from me. Out of desperation I decided to try and get another arrow in him. My only choice was a Texas heart shot. I guess him at 40 and some change and shot. I hit him in the left back leg just below his hip. He hunkered a little we about 10 yards and laid down. Now I have no more arrows with me, so now it is a waiting game. it didn't take long for him to expire.

I go over and take a look and reality set in ( first year on this lease ) I have no clue where I am! I have no flashlight! There are rattle snakes out there! I saw a power line running in the direction I thought I needed to go and knew it would at least be easier walking. I made it back to camp summons a little help from the land owner who lives a few miles away and he comes to camp and takes me back to my ranger. From camp the axis was a mile and a tenth down that fence line.

With everything that happened I consider myself very lucky that nothing bad (injuries ) happened

Click image for larger version

Name:	axis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	25162658

Nice one congrats

Comment

Dang big Axis................

Comment

sweet! congrats!

Comment

Nice congrats!

Comment

All shots are not gonna be perfect. It’s what you do after the shot that makes the difference. Congratulations!

Comment

Hey, you did everything you could and you got him, nice job!

Bet you slept good last night!

Comment

From the looks of the tips of the horns,he had another 8-10 inches to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
                  From the looks of the tips of the horns,he had another 8-10 inches to grow.
                  I don't know much about Axis, but the "bulbs" were not big at all, so I figured he was about done growing.

Comment

Congrats on the axis! Still looking for my first one.

Comment

very nice buck

Comment

Congrats and glad you made it out safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congratulations on your axis.

Comment

Congrats!! Nice axis!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X