Age this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cookemerkel View Post
    Also I am curious as to what guys are seeing in this buck to think he could be 4 or 5? My first glance I thought 2 but wouldn't ague if you told me he was 3.
    x2

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by cookemerkel View Post
        I think that's a good idea. He looks to have great potential!

Also I am curious as to what guys are seeing in this buck to think he could be 4 or 5? My first glance I thought 2 but wouldn't ague if you told me he was 3.
        Here is what I see. Looks young in the face, yes. But his body starting to get blocky. No up tick on his belly at the back legs (real typical in 3.5's). Chest deeper than i expect on a 3yo. And I know he's stepping in the photo, but he doesn't have the tippy toe look on his hooves. Again, just a single pic and my observations.

Comment

I've got a recent picture of a 5.5 y/o that I can't get uploaded. I've had 3 years of history with this deer.

This picture of him will help folks understand what a mature buck looks like. I think some folks saying 5.5 on this deer are way off. I'm even kind of shaking my head as to thinking he's 4.5... I just don't see it.
          Last edited by HoustonHunter; 09-20-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
            Here is what I see. Looks young in the face, yes. But his body starting to get blocky. No up tick on his belly at the back legs (real typical in 3.5's). Chest deeper than i expect on a 3yo. And I know he's stepping in the photo, but he doesn't have the tippy toe look on his hooves. Again, just a single pic and my observations.
            Thanks for posting that. I do agree its difficult to judge from a single picture.

Comment

2 year old, 3 max.
              Definitely not one you want shot, pretty sure you know that.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
                  He will definitely walk this year. No if ands or buts lol. Just like to check to see how I average out with everyone else

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                  2 year old, 3 max.
                  Definitely not one you want shot, pretty sure you know that.
                  Yes sir. He will absolutely walk

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought 2.5yrs as well. He looks like a doe with antlers. He lacks the muscle structure that a lot of 3.5yr olds start to get at that age.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                      I must need glasses, he looks 2.5 to me.
                      X2

Comment

The hock on that buck in velvet is stained and larger than what you would see on a 2 or 3 yr old. He has a blocky chest and front shoulder area. He is starting to set down on his front hooves. Only one picture makes it difficult but I still see a 5 yr old buck. Not every 5 yr old buck looks like all the other 5 yr old bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                          This. Just look at his body only and I see older. Face looks younger, but it could just be the camera angle.

Comment

I see a 2 1/2 year old

Comment

Post another picture in about 3 weeks after he is out of velvet and with his winter coat on he could possibly be older then he looks especially if this is in west Texas !

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                                This. Just look at his body only and I see older. Face looks younger, but it could just be the camera angle.
                                There's an old saying that young bucks have rectangular bodies and mature bucks look like squares/blocks.

This one looks like a doe with antlers which for most aging charts that will call a buck 2.5. He could be 3.5, but no older than that.

He has antlers of a 2.5-3.5 year old.
                                Last edited by HoustonHunter; 09-20-2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X