Foodplot Architecture-I'm Interested In Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foodplot Architecture-I'm Interested In Design

So, I'm really looking at the architecture of my just over two acre plot.. I'm really interested in architecture and can't find any great info on the subject yet I hear the Drury's refer to it all the time..

Like the idea of "green to green"- combining a winter plot with a summer one so that there is a transition when the summer plot dies out then the winter plot greens up and that transition is the point at which to hunt.

I've also read about the "Y" shaped plot..

What I'm intersted in is of smaller scale within the 2 acres.. For example, I was thinking about creating some travel lanes within the plot itself -via planting chicory (with the rest of the plot being taller beans)- that would direct the deer to walk those lanes AND in front of my stands! Or the same concept but planting a circle of chicory directly in front of the stand giving the deer a place to stage as they are eating..

Any thoughts? Or, maybe I'm overthinking it with such a small plot...
    Last edited by Leftridge; 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM.

Pm Sent

Comment

Here is what I'm thinking about..

Comment

Long and narrow are better than square- more edge effect and deer love edges. Also narrow ones allow you to bowhunt both edges from one side.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
          Long and narrow are better than square- more edge effect and deer love edges. Also narrow ones allow you to bowhunt both edges from one side.
          Beat me to it.

5 miles planted 3 feet wide, will be used better than a 300yrdx300yrd square. Your design looks great. Is that "finger" on a wood line, or just running wild in the wide open?

Comment

I don't really have the geography to put the plot any where else but the entire edge on the east is a woodline so I think in that respect its perfect and right on cover..

I'm not sure what finger your talking about? The entire plot is basically in a field with mesquite, live oaks and what was native grass.. The stand on the South is in a big tree next to some great live oaks that they pound acorns on..The Stand in the center is a tripod tucked into a live oak..

Maybe what I'll do is plant the entire thing in a mix then come back in in fall and disk half of it fot a winter plot...??

Comment

I miss understood the map. I got it now. Looks great I'd plant it all in the spring and just around the stands for Fall.

Comment

[ATTACH]151710[/ATTACH]

Here is mine. The one at the bottom runs down the middle of a valley, the small one in the middle is around a well pump, and the two at the top are down fence lines. They all do very well as long as we get the rain. I like them long and narrow.

Comment

Here is a vew from the stand farthest south.. You can see the tripod which is the stand in the middle of the plot..

and one from the south east corner of the plot..

Comment

Working...
                  X