M-lol tripod adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M-lol tripod adapter

Anybody using this? I ordered one thinking I will have hogs at one of my spots one of these days[emoji849].
    Now I can't find my tripod. Had a nice manfrotto and I think my kid took it to school and never brought it back. Now I'm looking for a budget replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title was supposed to read M-lok before apple corrected me.

Comment

Helloooooo. Lonely around here.

Seriously, all I'm needing is a tripod that will support a decent load (10lbs?) and has a quick release system that is cloned off the manfrotto RC2/Q2. There are probably a bunch out there but I'm having a hard time finding one that states it.

Comment

M-lol tripod adapter

Looks like you can buy that attachment for about $33. So I'm assuming you can get any tripod and attach it. Just FYI - budget and stable aren't usually terms applied to the same tripod. I'd get a Manfrotto 55 series at least.

Yeah, it's been DEAD around here lately. I dunno what's up.

Comment

I'm digging that
          Lots cheaper than a hog or pig saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
            Looks like you can buy that attachment for about $33. So I'm assuming you can get any tripod and attach it. Just FYI - budget and stable aren't usually terms applied to the same tripod. I'd get a Manfrotto 55 series at least.

Yeah, I was searching BH earlier to see if there were any less expensive options that still had a 15lb rating and then get the head kit.

Comment

I'm curious about shooting off a tripod. I can see where it would be handy but also not the most practical, unless you're in a pop-up blind or something.

The problem I tend to have with most rests, especially if there is any elevation difference between you and the target, is getting the angle right. I always seem to end up on my tip-toes to shoot low enough up close, or crouching down into an uncomfortable/unstable position. Obviously you can adjust the height of the tripod as well as the angle, but you can't always take the time to "dial it in" when something is moving somewhat quickly and you don't want to spook it.

Am I doing something wrong or overlooking certain situations?

Comment

Watched eBay for weeks and finally won a killer deal on a quality manfrotto setup with ball head and the RC2 quick connect. I'm very surprised at how stable it is. Will be a couple of weeks before I actually get out to shoot with it but so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                  Watched eBay for weeks and finally won a killer deal on a quality manfrotto setup with ball head and the RC2 quick connect. I'm very surprised at how stable it is. Will be a couple of weeks before I actually get out to shoot with it but so far so good.

Cool deal man! I was looking at that Mlok adaptor just the other day. I got interested in a pig saddle a few months ago but dang they are proud of that purchase price. For what I would use it for, I couldn't justify that many dollars.. let us know how this goes when you get some rounds down range

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                    Anybody using this? I ordered one thinking I will have hogs at one of my spots one of these days[emoji849].
                    Now I can't find my tripod. Had a nice manfrotto and I think my kid took it to school and never brought it back. Now I'm looking for a budget replacement.

I gave that Magpul away after trying it a few times. That ball head will wear out pretty quick with recoil. The HOG saddle worked the best for me

Hog Saddle, HOGsaddle, shooting rest, clamp, tripod, manfrotto,
                    Last edited by bermise; 06-15-2017, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post

+1 Manfrotto 055 is the best choice for a shooting tripod without spending $400+

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
                        I gave that Magpul away after trying it a few times. That ball head will wear out pretty quick with recoil. The HOG saddle worked the best for me

http://stores.hogsaddle.com/mod7-hog-saddle/
                        So you had a ball head wear out or you just think that it will? I have no experience with either but just playing around in the living room last night, it didn't seem to me like it should take that much punishment. When I'm shooting, it will be loosened (this is for night pig hunting, not long range target or anything like that). That .556 doesn't hardly have any recoil either.

Comment

I'm tagging this thread. I've been torn about what to do for a tripod setup for hog hunting. Like you TexaRican, I've looked into everything and I just can't decide but the M-Lock adapter was looking really nice. I've got an off brand Manfrotto clone with a nice ball head but it's heavy! The tripod legs also rattle a little bit. I'd never noticed it until I thought about using it for hog hunting. My tripod and ball head weight 8.3lbs, I believe the tripod is 5.5lbs without the head and that's similar to some of the Manfrottos. The issue is, 8lbs is a lot for me to lug through the field on a stalk.

I know guys seem to do it all the time but I'm usually in a hurry and walking anywhere from 150 yards up to a quarter mile one way. I carry a super lightweight aluminum monopod now and by the time I get back to the barn after a stalk, I'm usually worn out from carrying my rifle, monopod, monocular, flashlights etc. I can't imagine lugging a 8lb tripod with legs extended out 4 ft long. I really want to find a way to make this work because my monopod does ok but I like the tripod idea. It just doesn't seem practical if you are on the move but so many guys are guys are doing it, I need more research.

Comment

FYI - Josh over at Hog Saddle is offering a great budget tripod for $99 - http://stores.hogsaddle.com/slik-dx700pro-tripod-black/

Originally posted by bermise View Post

http://stores.hogsaddle.com/mod7-hog-saddle/

I'm all about my Hog Saddle setup but I'm wondering why you feel the ball head would wear out faster with the M-Lok adapter mounted than it would with the Hog Saddle mounted to it? I mean, the recoil transmitted into the ball head, from a shot, should be the same whether it's transmitted through a saddle or a plate. I'm not understanding how my Hog Saddle would save my ball head over a M-Lok plate? I'm asking because I've been thinking about getting one for a quicker mounting solution on those rare occasions that I'm wanting to shoot a gas gun off my tripod.

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                            I'm tagging this thread. I've been torn about what to do for a tripod setup for hog hunting. Like you TexaRican, I've looked into everything and I just can't decide but the M-Lock adapter was looking really nice. I've got an off brand Manfrotto clone with a nice ball head but it's heavy! The tripod legs also rattle a little bit. I'd never noticed it until I thought about using it for hog hunting. My tripod and ball head weight 8.3lbs, I believe the tripod is 5.5lbs without the head and that's similar to some of the Manfrottos. The issue is, 8lbs is a lot for me to lug through the field on a stalk.

I know guys seem to do it all the time but I'm usually in a hurry and walking anywhere from 150 yards up to a quarter mile one way. I carry a super lightweight aluminum monopod now and by the time I get back to the barn after a stalk, I'm usually worn out from carrying my rifle, monopod, monocular, flashlights etc. I can't imagine lugging a 8lb tripod with legs extended out 4 ft long. I really want to find a way to make this work because my monopod does ok but I like the tripod idea. It just doesn't seem practical if you are on the move but so many guys are guys are doing it, I need more research.

So, I use my tripod setup for longer range shooting and I use a Bog Pod or Trigger Stick (tripod version) for stalks where I'm not going to shoot really far - like inside 300yds. My tripod (PRST w/ Sunwayfoto XB-52DL ball head and Hog Saddle) is about as light as you can get for the type of setup it is; but there's NO way I'd head of on a "stalk" with it deployed and in my hands. It's just too heavy and awkward. I generally carry it strapped to a backpack until I get to the location I want to setup as an overwatch for the game I'm hunting. If I need the stability of a setup like this, I'm looking at pretty long shots where I'm not likely to be rushed because of the distance involved. On the other hand, if I'm truly "stalking" game, I'm looking at sudden shot opportunities (where setup needs to be quick) that are usually not terribly far. In this case, the rapid deployment of a set of Trigger Sticks or even a BogPod is big advantage; and they're plenty stable (for me) on those shorter range shots.

Choice of a portable shooting rest really depends, IMO, on the type of shooting you're planning to do. Not just the distance you're shooting, but also the position (sitting, standing, prone) your likely to be using. I haven't found a 1-size-fits-all solution. I have several different setups (as mentioned) and I use them all. If I'm shooting cull deer for a ranch and watching a 700yd sendero, I'm going to use my Hog Saddle. Same thing if I'm calling coyotes in a big open field. But, if I'm going to hike into a small clearing where I know my longest shot is going to be 200yds, I'm going to take my BogPod or Trigger Sticks. If I'm walking and rattling deer in brush country, I'm taking my Trigger Sticks so I can stand and shoot.

I HATE monopods! I don't like them even for optics. I just can't get a useful level of stability and a 2-3 legged BogPod or Trigger Sticks is just not much heavier. Yet they provide about 10x the stability.

What kind of shots are you typically taking on a stalk? Distance and shooting position(s)?

Comment

Yeah, the tripod is not exactly light but mine doesn't rattle one bit. I'm planning to be sitting on a tailgate or in a lawn chair and looking down a corned road a few hundred yards at most. When the pigs come out of the tree line, I step up and shoot. Stalking sounds like fun but it's not practical for E-TX hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X