School me on bag tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on bag tags

I planted some native grass this year and was looking over the bag tag. I noticed some of the species had really low germination rates. One was 9%. Seems really low, does this actually mean that only 9% of that species is viable? Doesent even take into consideration environmental factors.... Seems futile to plant it (or wrong to sell it in the first place). Am I missing something?

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
    I planted some native grass this year and was looking over the bag tag. I noticed some of the species had really low germination rates. One was 9%. Seems really low, does this actually mean that only 9% of that species is viable? Doesent even take into consideration environmental factors.... Seems futile to plant it (or wrong to sell it in the first place). Am I missing something?
    I saw that very same thing on a tag on a dove mix. After looking at the seed blend it was evident that the germination % was referring to how much % each seed was the portion of the total mix. Don't know why they called it germination %. I suspect that's what you are seeing as well

Comment

Possibly. It is confusing if that's the case. Did you take note of the actual in field results? Say, this species seemed to do better than that, and mimicked the bag tag? Thanks for the reply

Comment

Working...
      X