Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats that saying about owning a boat.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    If you have the tools, just cut the rusty stuff off and weld new back on.

This ^^^. And you can get some new stuff at Northern Tool. ?They carry a lot of small trailer replacement stuff.

I would how ever, check the inside of the trailer frame to see how much oxidation (rust) it has. That trailer might look good from the outside. But they tend to rust from the inside out most of the time. I've been fab-n and weld-n metal most of my life. And have built, as well as refurbished, a ton of trailers of all sizes during some of that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Darin View Post
      Looks like the frame is galvanized and chances are the whole thing was dipped prior to adding running gear. I would cut off the bad and weld on new. You will need to grind off the galvanizing to get a good weld. Just touch up everything with some cold galvanize spray.
      this is exactly what i think was the case. ill stop by harbor freight and get an angle grinder on the way to northern tool.

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
      So, you're a professional?

at google searching absolutely
      Attached Files
      Last edited by trjones87; 07-17-2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Once you make repairs, get off all traces of rust down to the bare metal and coat with ZRC coating. This is a Mil spec galvanized coating superior to the stuff you buy at Home depot. Get it at an industrial supply or on the net.

If you are staying in fresh water you can do OK with the galvanized spray from Home Depot. If you are going to salt water You need the heavier duty ZRC coating,

Also if you can find somewhere to slide the boat off into someones back yard for a while, It is much easier to do extensive trailer repairs without the boat on the trailer.

Comment

boats are so much fun....and so frustrating at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
            boats are so much fun....and so frustrating at the same time
            didnt even have to get it all the way home to figure that out

Comment

A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. I own one, welcome to the club. I was told once "you'll never get everything working at the same time". So far they were right, good luck.

Comment

If it flies, floats or f**ks it is cheaper to rent it.

Comment

Nice. Sounds like you’re already on track to getting fixed up. You could go out and get a newer trailer, but what’s the fun in that?

Comment

Nice man! I just picked up pretty much the exact same boat! Gonna pick it up next week sometime, maybe we can throw ideas around on how to redo them. The one I am getting has an 80 HP Yammy on it, but not sure how the compression is, just told it ran the last time they took it out. Going to test compression before I sink any money into the motor. I bought it for the hull though so not too worried about having to put a different motor on it, couldn’t pass it up for $800 for boat, motor and trailer.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4499.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	24584872Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4498.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	24584873Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4497.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	24584874Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4496.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	24584875

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You would be surprised how much a new Coastline aluminum trailer would cost for that boat. You should give them a call before you go further on that old galvanized trailer.

Comment

I have a trailer for sale in the classifieds that should be the right size. Make me an offer

Comment

Not sure how difficult a retro fit it is, but how about doing away with the leaf springs and going to a torsion axle?

I fought and fought with the trailer under my old flounder boat before just ordering a new one from Coastline.

Comment

I replaced my springs and shackles with dual torsion axles and didn't look back. was an easy swap, cut off all old brackets and bolted on the new axles. Was cheaper then replacing all the springs / shackles etc. I picked up my parts in Houston at www.mcclaintrailers.com/parts/axle.htm#torsion 8 bolts and was going down the road... fix it right and it shouldn't leave ya stranded for a while, I think the dexters have a 5 yr maintance free warranty

Comment

Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I ended up getting another trailer when mine got bad recently. Tongue literally broke in the driveway backing it up.

My new trailer has fenders that bolt on with spring attachments built into them... this might be a bolt on solution for your trailer.

Comment

Working...
                                X