Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #101
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Speed at distances could due to energy being used in trying to gain control. But at launch point, probably not measurable with any standard chrono.
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #102
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Probably. Iíve got his setup at 254 fps.
What calculator did you use?
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #103
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
What calculator did you use?
Just common sense bow math. Creed has an IBO rating of 328. At 50 lbs, that IBO rating is 320. You lose 4 fps IBO per 10 lbs. So, we start at 320, and since you have a 28Ē DL, we subtract 10 FPS per inch, so weíre now at 300 fps. Peep and loop cost app. 7 FPS, so now, weíre at 293. Every 30 grains of arrow weight cost app. 10 FPS. Your arrow weighs 118 grains over 250, (IBO for a 50 lb bow), so, rounding up, 120 grains costs 40 FPS. Weíre now at 253 fps. Of course, that is assuming that your Creed actually hits IBO speed.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #104
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
Just common sense bow math. Creed has an IBO rating of 328. At 50 lbs, that IBO rating is 320. You lose 4 fps IBO per 10 lbs. So, we start at 320, and since you have a 28Ē DL, we subtract 10 FPS per inch, so weíre now at 300 fps. Peep and loop cost app. 7 FPS, so now, weíre at 293. Every 30 grains of arrow weight cost app. 10 FPS. Your arrow weighs 118 grains over 250, (IBO for a 50 lb bow), so, rounding up, 120 grains costs 40 FPS. Weíre now at 253 fps. Of course, that is assuming that your Creed actually hits IBO speed.
Just trying to learn something here.. if ibo is at 30 inches 70 lbs if you shoot over 70 do u add ?
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #105
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
Just trying to learn something here.. if ibo is at 30 inches 70 lbs if you shoot over 70 do u add ?
On the IBO rating, I donít really know?? But, every pound should give you 2 fps of arrow speed, until you hit a point of diminishing return, OR, your cam advancement increases DL.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #106
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
On the IBO rating, I donít really know?? But, every pound should give you 2 fps of arrow speed, until you hit a point of diminishing return, OR, your cam advancement increases DL.
Ok I didn't know how it worked . Thanks for the info..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #107
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I think it's about time to unveil my new ultralight 100% FOC setup...

It's gonna be revolutionary!
Attached Images

Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #108
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
I think it's about time to unveil my new ultralight 100% FOC setup...

It's gonna be revolutionary!

Goood stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 PM   #109
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Why would you decrease the IBO speed? The calculator doesn't call for that. The calculator I used was very close to what I shot through the chrono.

Interesting.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #110
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Why would you decrease the IBO speed? The calculator doesn't call for that. The calculator I used was very close to what I shot through the chrono.

Interesting.
Iíve only been selling bows and using manufacturerís data for 18 years, so Iím no expert. Iíll give you back your 8 FPS. Youíre now st 261 FPS. Assuming your bow hits IBO. Not many bows do. Why donít you go to a reputable archery shop, weigh your bow and arrow, shoot through a good chronograph, and get back to us? I may start grabbing Creeds as fast as they come up for sale if they can do those numbers.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #111
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:

Interesting.
Iíve only been selling bows and using manufacturerís data for 18 years, so Iím no expert. Iíll give you back your 8 FPS. Youíre now st 261 FPS. Assuming your bow hits IBO. Not many bows do. Why donít you go to a reputable archery shop, weigh your bow and arrow, shoot through a good chronograph, and get back to us? I may start grabbing Creeds as fast as they come up for sale if they can do those numbers.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #112
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:

Interesting.
Because when you use limbs that are 10 lbs lighter than the IBO standard you have to derate the IBO rating, so you go from an IBO rating of 328 to 320.

No matter the terminology, a 60 lb limb isn't going to be as fast as a 70 lb limb out of the same bow, so you must correct for that.

Even if the calculator doesn't call for that specifically (derated IBO), it should be doing the math; if it isn't the numbers will be wrong.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #113
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Quote:

Interesting.
Your whole problem is this "calculator" thing. Anytime I hear the word" calculator" that's an immediate red flag IMO.
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #114
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Because when you use limbs that are 10 lbs lighter than the IBO standard you have to derate the IBO rating, so you go from an IBO rating of 328 to 320.

No matter the terminology, a 60 lb limb isn't going to be as fast as a 70 lb limb out of the same bow, so you must correct for that.

Even if the calculator doesn't call for that specifically (derated IBO), it should be doing the math; if it isn't the numbers will be wrong.
gotcha
Old 07-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #115
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
I suppose weíll never know about this bow for sure.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:09 PM   #116
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Been trying to stay out of this thread, but I'm compelled to point out that my 67-lb recurve -- while much slower than any of the compounds discussed above -- worked pretty well to propel a 680-grain arrow (maybe 190 FPS) through the vitals of a 238-lb boar for a 100 yard track.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #117
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Been trying to stay out of this thread, but I'm compelled to point out that my 67-lb recurve -- while much slower than any of the compounds discussed above -- worked pretty well to propel a 680-grain arrow (maybe 190 FPS) through the vitals of a 238-lb boar for a 100 yard track.
Exactly, after shooting a strugglestick for the past few years ALL compounds are blazing..haha
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #118
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
I suppose weíll never know about this bow for sure.
Well, other than you actually being there when I shot it, I guess not. I was satisfied with its performance. I have laced several Whitetails with it, one this year that just boggled my mind. Been going to the same shop for a long time. Unless I "miss" entered a input on the Chrono(which is possible), it is accurate.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #119
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well, other than you actually being there when I shot it, I guess not. I was satisfied with its performance. I have laced several Whitetails with it, one this year that just boggled my mind. Been going to the same shop for a long time. Unless I "miss" entered a input on the Chrono(which is possible), it is accurate.
Iíll concede. You have the most efficient bow in the history of compound bows. Congrats.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:22 AM   #120
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iíll concede. You have the most efficient bow in the history of compound bows. Congrats.
Aww now, don't be like that, we just having a friendly discussion. Please don't get upset over this.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:47 AM   #121
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
aww now, don't be like that, we just having a friendly discussion. Please don't get upset over this.
👍😁
Old 07-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #122
QACZ71
Four Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

Sorry for the hijack, didn’t want to flood the pages with a similar question.

Ordering new arrows and want to balance speed and weight. Currently shooting 27” 6mm Axis 340 with 50gr of brass roughly 460gr with a lighted nock on the back. Tried going to 75gr extra up front but it caused erratic arrow flight. Want an arrow that can pull double duty for hunting and 3D.
Have been really happy with the 6mm Axis arrows so was probably going to stick with them, but wanted to see if I there would be considerable difference going to a 300 shaft with 75gr of brass pushing arrow weight closer to 500gr?

Bow specs- Triax 28.5dl draw weight was at 65lb but turned it up a turn on both limbs.

Thanks in advance
QACZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #123
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by QACZ71 View Post
Sorry for the hijack, didnít want to flood the pages with a similar question.

Ordering new arrows and want to balance speed and weight. Currently shooting 27Ē 6mm Axis 340 with 50gr of brass roughly 460gr with a lighted nock on the back. Tried going to 75gr extra up front but it caused erratic arrow flight. Want an arrow that can pull double duty for hunting and 3D.
Have been really happy with the 6mm Axis arrows so was probably going to stick with them, but wanted to see if I there would be considerable difference going to a 300 shaft with 75gr of brass pushing arrow weight closer to 500gr?

Bow specs- Triax 28.5dl draw weight was at 65lb but turned it up a turn on both limbs.

Thanks in advance
The best thing todo is see if you can get your hands on just a couple of 300 spine arrows and test. But if you added weight and The 340 went bad then yes you will see the difference going to a 300.
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #124
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

I’ve got my arrow weight figured up around 415 grains, shooting just over 70# on a Halon at 29.5DL and shot 301 FPS through a chrono.

Does that sound reasonably correct?
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #125
Black-N-Red
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by QACZ71 View Post
Sorry for the hijack, didnít want to flood the pages with a similar question.

Ordering new arrows and want to balance speed and weight. Currently shooting 27Ē 6mm Axis 340 with 50gr of brass roughly 460gr with a lighted nock on the back. Tried going to 75gr extra up front but it caused erratic arrow flight. Want an arrow that can pull double duty for hunting and 3D.

Thanks in advance

Iíve got a few 300 spine Full Metal Jackets you can have to play around with. If you interested just pm me.
Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #126
QACZ71
Four Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

Quote:
Originally Posted by enewman View Post
The best thing todo is see if you can get your hands on just a couple of 300 spine arrows and test. But if you added weight and The 340 went bad then yes you will see the difference going to a 300.
It was ok through paper but was oscillating in flight. Didnít know if some other had some similar ďdemandsĒ and had better luck with a heavier weight combo. Understand itís not needed to kill foam but donít want two sight tapes and arrows like to practice how I hunt as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-N-Red View Post
Iíve got a few 300 spine Full Metal Jackets you can have to play around with. If you interested just pm me.
PM sent thank you!
QACZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top