School me on pellet grills/smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perryr View Post
    I just bought a Pitts & Spitts Maverick last weekend. So far I’m pretty impressed with it.

I hope to try out my Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250 tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Those Cannon pits look nice. I am actually going to be putting together a PIT Boss Pro 820 today. I love the one we have at the ranch. I know its not cooking on wood but one reason I use to hate BBQ'ing is because I didn't want to spend all day watching a fire and temp. I love the ease that pellet grills provide and the few briskets and ribs I have done all turned out great with just the right amount of smoke.

Comment

Narrowed it down to these (3)

Traeger Ironwood 885. Can get for $1120. 3 yr warranty
        Tec Tec Stampede RT-590. On sale for $899 with free shipping. 4 year warranty
        Rec Tec Bull RT-700. $1199 with free shipping. 6 yr warranty

I looked at a couple others recommended here but want to avoid carbon steel and stick with all stainless.

Anyone have these that can comment?

Comment

Don’t overlook the Yoder. Built better than most if not all of them I seen. Very heavy duty and puts out great food! Love mine and so does everyone that eats food from it!

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
            This unit goes for $1550. Its built to last.

We have a website, but it isn't up and running yet. You can find us on instagram and on FB

Cannon Pits and Fabrication
            @cannonpitsandfabrication
            Thank you for the information- that is a good price for the quality of the pellet grill/smoker. It’s well below the Pitts & Spitts & looks to be of the same quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Darin View Post

I looked at a couple others recommended here but want to avoid carbon steel and stick with all stainless.

Yes. Forget the first one. Just go with either of the Rec-Tecs.

Comment

VEry nice grill in the pics

Comment

I bought my son the Rec Tec Bull a few years ago. He loves it. BTW, Pitts and Spitts makes their Maverick grills in all stainless. There is an up charge but not sure how much.

Comment

Alright - thanks all. Was hoping for some discussion but I'll search it out.
                    There's always one who will tell you to use the search function but sometimes a new discussion is timely for other members as well. We just made the decision to get a pellet smoker and I'm glad this thread got started.

Comment

We smoke everything now... smoked pizza is probably my favorite. I normally smoke everything (steaks, hamburgers, chicken, etc...) for 15 minutes then finish off on required temp. Super easy making briskets, get temp right put brisket on before I go to bed and take off the next morning. I would say quick and easy like a gas grill but still getting the smoke flavor. I have a Pitt Boss and love it. Read through the book carefully and you will figure it out

Comment

I have a Camp Chef with seer box for the house, and a Green Mountain Daniel Boone portable in our travel trailer. Both are awesome. Camp chef however has a easy release for smoke box so you don’t have to do a full clean and take everything apart between ever6 smoke.

Comment

Ordered a RT-700 last night, wife just finally got tired of me talking about it I guess. Can’t wait to get it! I’ve been reading all these threads about pellet grills and appreciate all the good feedback everybody had shared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My father have the Traeger Ironwood 885.
                            I have only cooked on it a few times, so far so good. While it is not the same as the Timberlines, it is comparable in some aspects.
                            It uses the WiFire control and Traeger App on your phone which so far I really like. Like, I can start a cook, and head to a house to watch a game and still monitor grill and probe temperatures and even change the temperature setting if I want.

As for me, I have Rec-Tec (two years already). Don't regret it one bit. Stainless steel, heavy duty construction, WiFi, but no direct grilling area - need to warn you. Grill grates make it serviceable, but temp maxes at about 550. Still better than comparable or cheaper pellet grills from what I tried.

Comment

School me on pellet grills/smokers

My Pitts & Spits 1250 has been awesome. Smoke everything from fish to bacon and the usual stuff like brisket, ribs, pork butts, etc.

Crank up the temp to 600 and reverse sear steaks.

I cook burgers and dogs at 450. Put the pizza oven adapter on and fast cook homemade pizza. Grilled veggies are awesome too.

Only thing I haven’t done yet is bake on it.

Thanksgiving will have (2) 14# turkeys and a 12# ham on it.

I can be anywhere including away from home and monitor and adjust if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                My Pitts & Spits 1250 has been awesome. Smoke everything from fish to bacon and the usual stuff like brisket, ribs, pork butts, etc.

Crank up the temp to 600 and reverse sear steaks.

I cook burgers and dogs at 450. Put the pizza oven adapter on and fast cook homemade pizza. Grilled veggies are awesome too.

Only thing I haven’t done yet is bake on it.

Thanksgiving will have (2) 14# turkeys and a 12# ham on it.

I can be anywhere including away from home and monitor and adjust if needed.

I bought one of these Maverick 1250's too. Its been a lot of fun and I have enjoyed it. I have dang near perfected the ribs, pork butt, and brisket. Haha. But man reverse sear a tri-tip and tell me that don't eat! I cook a tri-tip weekly! I also smoked some yellowfin steaks a few months back. Incredible!

I may smoke a Prime-Rib for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X