Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
camoclad
Four Point

Hunt In: central tx
Default School me on bag tags

I planted some native grass this year and was looking over the bag tag. I noticed some of the species had really low germination rates. One was 9%. Seems really low, does this actually mean that only 9% of that species is viable? Doesent even take into consideration environmental factors.... Seems futile to plant it (or wrong to sell it in the first place). Am I missing something?
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoclad View Post
I planted some native grass this year and was looking over the bag tag. I noticed some of the species had really low germination rates. One was 9%. Seems really low, does this actually mean that only 9% of that species is viable? Doesent even take into consideration environmental factors.... Seems futile to plant it (or wrong to sell it in the first place). Am I missing something?
I saw that very same thing on a tag on a dove mix. After looking at the seed blend it was evident that the germination % was referring to how much % each seed was the portion of the total mix. Don't know why they called it germination %. I suspect that's what you are seeing as well
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
camoclad
Four Point

Hunt In: central tx

Possibly. It is confusing if that's the case. Did you take note of the actual in field results? Say, this species seemed to do better than that, and mimicked the bag tag? Thanks for the reply
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top