Hunting in a AR County, my thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting in a AR County, my thoughts

I had the chance to hunt in an AR County for the 1st time. I can only gun hunt and didn’t get the OK until early October. After I set up a TC and a feeder, I managed to kill a old, old 7 point with no teeth opening weekend. I have hunted at least 2 days a week since then and despite seeing at least a dozen bucks, I cannot fill my 2nd buck tag with does not allowed. I refuse to shot young spikes, so I have been searching for that elusive older buck with a long unbranched antler but it’s not in the cards. This farm usually shoots 3 bucks per year but they shot the 3yo 8’s that are 16+” wide or the 3 yo 10’s that have potential to be really nice in a few years plus the neighbors seem to think the same way. I saw a 130’s 9 point the 2nd week of season but not again. The genetics seem to be pretty good but most deer are 2.5 or less.
    I really like hunting close to the house but the pigs are killing me, they are nocturnal only and I don’t have the desire to hunt at night. I’m hoping this cold snap kills all the acorns, etc. so they come out in the daytime.

I learned one thing for sure, hunting an AR County is tough if you limit yourself to older deer to harvest. My hats off to all that do it and have a Happy New Year!

Yes sir, it’s a struggle, especially if you are bow only. And to compound the problem, the state won’t allow good property managers and good stewards of the land to cull accordingly. Now having said that, I know rules have to be made for the masses and can be no individualism.

Comment

Did you ever see a mature deer that didn't meet AR? If not then isn't it no different than hunting in a non AR county?

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
        Did you ever see a mature deer that didn't meet AR? If not then isn't it no different than hunting in a non AR county?

The wisdom you seek is here grasshopper

Comment

I don't hunt an antler restriction county, not sure how it's much different than a non-AR county. Some areas will be better than others, just like everywhere, and allow deer to mature.

Aging this guys at 5.5, multiple pictures and seen him in person. Not sure he makes 13".

Click image for larger version

Name:	12140619.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	24525753

Comment

Originally posted by bowmansdad View Post
            I had the chance to hunt in an AR County for the 1st time. I can only gun hunt and didn’t get the OK until early October. After I set up a TC and a feeder, I managed to kill a old, old 7 point with no teeth opening weekend. I have hunted at least 2 days a week since then and despite seeing at least a dozen bucks, I cannot fill my 2nd buck tag with does not allowed. I refuse to shot young spikes, so I have been searching for that elusive older buck with a long unbranched antler but it’s not in the cards. This farm usually shoots 3 bucks per year but they shot the 3yo 8’s that are 16+” wide or the 3 yo 10’s that have potential to be really nice in a few years plus the neighbors seem to think the same way. I saw a 130’s 9 point the 2nd week of season but not again. The genetics seem to be pretty good but most deer are 2.5 or less.
            I really like hunting close to the house but the pigs are killing me, they are nocturnal only and I don’t have the desire to hunt at night. I’m hoping this cold snap kills all the acorns, etc. so they come out in the daytime.

I learned one thing for sure, hunting an AR County is tough if you limit yourself to older deer to harvest. My hats off to all that do it and have a Happy New Year!
            You got a different experience than most hunters in AR counties by finding a old buck to kill, even with restrictions it is hard to find a buck that will make it to 5 years old just because many are smaller acrage places, fragmented habitat, and lots of hunters. I had 9 bucks this year that i had at 3-4 years old as of right now one has survived, neighbors have shot 6, and 2 have dissappeared but there is a couple people hunting a small place i dont know, i think that is where they dissapeared. Everyone knows they get bigger with age but same statement" i know he was young but if i dont shoot him the neighbor will". The worst part about it is some readily admit they wont even eat deer, they give it away.

Comment

In another 15 years AR Counties will be full of mature 8-10 pointers with 12" spreads.

Comment

Originally posted by bowmansdad View Post

It's not easy. But, it can be rewarding when the stars finally line up. I have hunted East Tx since I moved to Texas. Try being on an East Tx lease where the buck has to be a 4.5 yo or 125 net or better to be legal. That isn't easy either

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
                  You got a different experience than most hunters in AR counties by finding a old buck to kill, even with restrictions it is hard to find a buck that will make it to 5 years old just because many are smaller acrage places, fragmented habitat, and lots of hunters. I had 9 bucks this year that i had at 3-4 years old as of right now one has survived, neighbors have shot 6, and 2 have dissappeared but there is a couple people hunting a small place i dont know, i think that is where they dissapeared. Everyone knows they get bigger with age but same statement" i know he was young but if i dont shoot him the neighbor will". The worst part about it is some readily admit they wont even eat deer, they give it away.
                  The 7 point I shot looked to be 4 or 5 but he didn’t have any jaw teeth so I’m sure he was much older. His rack was 2X5 with his right G2 about 2” on a crooked beam. I had another similar buck on TC but he’s been gone for awhile. There are 4 8’s that are at least 3 that don’t make 13”, that I saw this week that should be around next year. I’m going to build a pen and put mineral blocks and cottonseed in it to supplement them, if it floods I won’t be out a protein feeder. Some of the young bucks should be 13” easily by next year since a couple are real close now. Looking forward to next year. Good luck to all in 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    It's not easy. But, it can be rewarding when the stars finally line up. I have hunted East Tx since I moved to Texas. Try being on an East Tx lease where the buck has to be a 4.5 yo or 125 net or better to be legal. That isn't easy either
                    I’ll bet it is, besides the 9 point I saw breaking 100” will be hard!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      In another 15 years AR Counties will be full of mature 8-10 pointers with 12" spreads.
                      This is exactly what I'm seeing on my place already. I'm not a fan of the 13" rule and I think it was done by the state for no other reason than money.

Just my observations and opinion.

JC

Comment

In another 15 years, I’ll be dead. Really tired of waiting for all of these mature, over 13” bucks to show up. I think it’s been 12-13 years already in Eastland Co

Comment

Very, very few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Statement/Question for anyone hunting in an AR area.............

Now that the AR have been in place for several years and people in all areas are starting to see a dramatic increase in the average age of bucks in their respective areas (this was the intent of the AR's to begin with), what would you all think about the state going to something like a 3 point rule for a buck (antlers have to have at least 3 points on one side to be legal) AND have a spike/doe tag for the general season? Just asking opinions and why you think it would help or hurt.

Comment

stop it.........

Comment

Working...
                              X