Thoughts on getting started on a lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on getting started on a lease?

First off im thankful community on this site. Has seriously contributed to my growth as a hunter.

This year a close friend of mine and I are looking to take the next step and get ourselves connected on a moderately priced lease. We are not looking for trophy deer but a decent mature buck ever few years and a yearly doe or two for the freezer.

Curious what is the best way to start is. I’ve been looking on tpwd and browsing forums to find direction, but still having some trouble. Ive seen other members recommend this site. Is there a specific spot on the site to keep any eye on or put the word out? I’m Considering some Texas lease sites but hesitant to drop the money on them.

Just want to be respectful to the community and process, I know it takes work/time and am willing to put that in, just looking for a good start. I hesitantly ask this thinking that surely this is a common question. So if that is the case just point me in the right direction and I’ll do the homework.

Thankful for any direction or feedback!

In my experience, the best leases don't need to advertise when it comes to filling spots. You need to ask around. Family, friends, co-workers, etc. Chances are you already know some people on really good leases. Let them know you're looking and they'll let you know when there's an opening.

Comment

Originally posted by TxStrong View Post
      First off im thankful community on this site. Has seriously contributed to my growth as a hunter.

This year a close friend of mine and I are looking to take the next step and get ourselves connected on a moderately priced lease. We are not looking for trophy deer but a decent mature buck ever few years and a yearly doe or two for the freezer.

Curious what is the best way to start is. I’ve been looking on tpwd and browsing forums to find direction, but still having some trouble. Ive seen other members recommend this site. Is there a specific spot on the site to keep any eye on or put the word out? I’m Considering some Texas lease sites but hesitant to drop the money on them.

Just want to be respectful to the community and process, I know it takes work/time and am willing to put that in, just looking for a good start. I hesitantly ask this thinking that surely this is a common question. So if that is the case just point me in the right direction and I’ll do the homework.

Thankful for any direction or feedback!
      If its "moderately" priced lease you want you may need to travel East. Determine first of all, travel time and area you want to hunt. In SETx, look at lumber/timber companies, they will havea ledger showing available leases. Look on various websites like SETx.com.classifieds

You could also go to the county seat and get the owner name of privately owned ground and knock on doors.

One more thing, don't overlook hunting out of state. In Illinois or Kansas you could get a whole seasons worth action in one week, for roughly the same price

Once you decide where you are gonna hunt may I suggest, maps, maps, maps! Topo and satellite maps are priceless.
      Last edited by lovemylegacy; 11-26-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Good info! Got me thinking that reaching out to a couple local clubs and trying to plug in might be a good way to network for the right opportunity

Comment

Keep an eye on the classifieds this spring. Openings on leases will start showing up. Keep your options open because you will see many leases with wide ranging costs with wide ranging amenities and wide ranging expectations. Private property leases will probably offer more for your money but can be more expensive. They also come with, based on many posts, the chance of losing it due to someone with more money or selling out. East Texas timber company leases are less expensive and offer less but are more stable in ownership and less likely to lose until you decide to give it up. Good luck in your search.

Comment

You should find a decent lease with openings. Almost every part of Texas has some good hunting. I suggest a lease with strict rules and a well managed camp. Avoid cheap leases where people have been kicked off and had blowups with land owners
            Work hard and help the other members. It can be a very rewarding experience with little drama or stress if you all treat it as a team sport and not be greedy or self centered.

Good luck.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
              In my experience, the best leases don't need to advertise when it comes to filling spots. You need to ask around. Family, friends, co-workers, etc. Chances are you already know some people on really good leases. Let them know you're looking and they'll let you know when there's an opening.

IMO this is the easiest and most of the time the best.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Money.... thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                X