Inconsistent 700 BDL Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    My money is on bad barrel. Your buddy has had it since 97. Probably not cleaned and stored properly.
    That's what Im afraid of, but still hoping its something other than the barrel.

Comment

I don't know you, you were probably one of the best snipers to ever live, but.... No one has mentioned you.
      Do you normally shoot sub moa with other rifles? I've seen people develope habits, they aren't even aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        I don't know you, you were probably one of the best snipers to ever live, but.... No one has mentioned you.
        Do you normally shoot sub moa with other rifles? I've seen people develope habits, they aren't even aware of.
        Haha, not even close to being a sniper but I do appreciate an accurate rifle, it’s what makes them sexy!
        Having said that, the other rifle I shot yesterday was my Alamo Precision custom build-6.5 Creedmor. I’d worked up some loads and needed to run them through the tube.
        I know I can’t compare a 700 BDL to this but I know the BDL should do better.
        Load development on the 6.5 is still a work in progress.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcanman View Post
          Haha, not even close to being a sniper but I do appreciate an accurate rifle, it’s what makes them sexy!
          Having said that, the other rifle I shot yesterday was my Alamo Precision custom build-6.5 Creedmor. I’d worked up some loads and needed to run them through the tube.
          I know I can’t compare a 700 BDL to this but I know the BDL should do better.
          Load development on the 6.5 is still a work in progress.

Those are not the best groups with a custom rifle and could very well open to what you are seeing shooting 5 round groups from a factory gun.

I would start with cleaning. Run Bore-Tech Eliminator through it as the directions state and you will have a clean bore. Make sure your rounds are leaving with an acceptable SD. Free floating a pencil barrel that was intended to rest on the stock fore-end can result in loss of accuracy. You might get that back with bedding the action. Pull the rear tang screw, loosen the front a touch and see how much the tang moves around. Did you have to do any in-letting to clear the new trigger? If so, I have seen that impact cheap factory stocks in a bad way.

The guys have covered the scope, bases, etc. several times. I have yet to see what caliber this rifle is?

If the scope and rifle are good the groups look like inconsistent natural line of sight, followed by inconsistent shoulder pressure and finally trigger control/follow through. Some of these things show in the stringing of your 6.5 groups as well.

I am not trying to knock your shooting. Just an observation from someone that has struggled with stringing in the past. I hope you get this worked out.

Comment

I will add this; the three shot groups with your custom rifle need to be expanded to 5. Most bad shooting habits are uncovered when you shoot 5 round groups.

The custom rifle you have is showing it should shoot most match ammo into the .3x area of the middle target. I would expect 5 rounds to fall into that same .3x group. Anything other than that with a custom build I blame on myself.

Comment

Double check all the scope mounts for sure. Had a 25/06 doing the same thing. Chased that thing all over the paper, finally blamed the scope and pulled the junk tasco off and went to mount a leupold and noticed the mounts were actually loose. But with the scope on it was hardly noticeable.

Replaced mounts and scope and it shoots dimes now.

Comment

If you'd like I'll buy or trade it from you!?!? I'm new and don't know how to check for replies or private messages so I'll copy this URL and follow the thread. .....Thx

Comment

If you plan on keeping the rifle, have it re-crowned ... then pillar and glass bedded

Comment

Originally posted by Bowdog@23 View Post
                    If you'd like I'll buy or trade it from you!?!? I'm new and don't know how to check for replies or private messages so I'll copy this URL and follow the thread. .....Thx
                    Definitely don’t have the time to be running back and forth to the range.
                    Where can I message/call you?

Comment

It's most likely a scope problem. We went through a lot of leupold and Redfield scopes years ago that that had problems shortly after we got them. We would send them back, they would fix them and then we never had any problems after that. I have been told leupold bought out Redfield and that Redfield is now a cheap scope line. That really sucks if so.

But two years ago, I bought a Vortex 4X16, one of the higher end scopes, cost a lot more than any of my previous scopes. I got the rifle down to 3/8" groups, figured, with time, I would get that down to 1/4" or better groups. Nope, about 300 rounds and the gun started hitting to the right 3/4", then to the left 3/4", then left and high 3/4", then low right 3/4". Then the more I shot it, the worse it got. Without changing the scope adjustments, it went from, 3/4", right, then left, then high left and low right. To 1 1/2" right, left, high left and low right. Kept doing the same pattern, but farther from center, till it got out to about 6" or so from center, then completely off the target. The scope was dead.
                      I called Vortex, talked to a guy there who was somewhat helpful. He tried to tell me, I had the scope rings too tight, just loosen them and it would be fine. I was sure that was not the case. I loosened them, then checked again. Still the scope would not adjust at all. So I sent it in, they sent me a new scope. In the mean time I bought a new base, with higher rings, because the scope had been too low for me to see through it clearly.
                      Well the new mount was a Burris PEPR mount. It has 6 screws per ring. Now, the thing the guy at Vortex kept telling me was the ring screws could not be more than 18 in. lbs. But if you have 6 ring screws and tighten them in a criss cross pattern, the first screws you tighten, will be loose, when you tighten the last screws. Basically you have to go through a criss cross pattern quite a few times to get all 6 screws to 18 in. lbs. By that time, the rings have been tightened down a good ways past the original 18 in. lb. torqueing. So I know the tube is being squeezed quite a bit tighter. When I got to the range, the gun that had been shooting 3/8" groups, before the fist scope died, went to shooting 4" to 6" groups.
                      What the guy a Vortex said was happening, was the outer tube was being squeezed to the point it was making contact with the inner field tube. Which if they made contact, the point of impact or the groups would move around. I kept trying lower and lower torque on the ring screws and finally found, that at 8 in. lbs. of torque on the ring screws, the gun went from shooting 4" to 6" groups with the second Vortex to 1" to 1 1/2" groups. That worked for about 10 shots, then the point of impact moved again, turns out the scope slid in the rings, because the rings were so loose.

My cure for the problem was to get rid of the delicate Vortex scope, then also got a Leupold mount, that only has two screws per ring. With the new scope a Weaver Super Slam and the Leupold mount, the group size dropped significantly, to about 1". But still did not get back to the original 3/8" groups. I am thinking that is a result of me changing the powder charge and primer. I am working on that problem, now.

I would bet your problem is the scope, after what the guy at Vortex told me, you could have rings that are too tight. If not, I would say the scope is bad.

Comment

As for the rifle, a Remington from that time period, with a bedding job, trigger job, should shoot at least 1/4" groups at 100 yards, with the right hand loads. I had two from that time and a bit earlier, that would shoot right at .100" with just trigger jobs and good hand loads. 300 rounds is not going to shoot the barrel out, unless the bullet is leaving the barrel around 4500 fps or more. My 7 mm Rem Mags, with my hand loads, were leaving the barrel at 3350 fps on the money. I would get somewhere around 1500 to 2000 rounds out of a barrel, or about two years of me shooting, back in those days. My 22-250 was pushing 3850 fps, I never shot the barrel out of that gun. I probably put at least 1200 rounds through it, possibly 1500 rounds.

Comment

Sound like very bad copper fouling to me. I bought a Sako 7mmRM and it was so copper fouled it grouped just like this. It took me a solid week of cleaning several times a day and letting solvent soak for hours in-between cleanings to get it all out. Then it shot 1". Badly copper fouled barrel cant be cleaned with just a few brush passes and patches. Get some hoppes benchrest copper solvent, run a soaked patch let set 1hr then run a dry patch, repeat this procedure until dry patch no longer come out without green on it. It can take days if its fouled bad. you can get faster copper cleaner but it can damage barrel you have to follow directions to tee. With the above it will not hurt barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcanman View Post
                            Definitely don’t have the time to be running back and forth to the range.
                            Where can I message/call you?
                            Text 214-537-0140
                            Send me pics and other info. Is this a .243? .... Thx
                            Last edited by Bowdog@23; 11-02-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X