Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #1
woodsman08
Six Point
 
woodsman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, TX
Hunt In: Brenham
Default Trophy Pig Quest

Didn't expect creating Barr hogs to be this controversial

Last edited by woodsman08; 05-17-2020 at 03:07 PM.
woodsman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
woodsman08
Six Point
 
woodsman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, TX
Hunt In: Brenham
Default

deleted

Last edited by woodsman08; 05-17-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: n/a
woodsman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Rangefinder
Pope & Young
 
Rangefinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Weatherford Tx
Hunt In: Ford Kansas,Shackleford County,Moran Texas
Default

And why are you doing this???? I can’t believe you Trapping pigs and then turn around and let some go this is BS!!
Rangefinder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
woodsman08
Six Point
 
woodsman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, TX
Hunt In: Brenham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
And why are you doing this???? I can’t believe you Trapping pigs and then turn around and let some go this is BS!!
lol, we do our part and kill a lot of pigs every year. Barr pigs (castrated) can no longer reproduce, their meat tastes better, their cutters get much larger because they don't thin them by grinding on their wetters (upper teeth) due to not fighting over territory/women, and they grow much bigger. The lack of grinding keeps the cutters from getting too thin and making them vulnerable to breaking off.
woodsman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
DFWPI
Pope & Young
 
DFWPI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington
Hunt In: Jack/Young County
Default

Say it isnít so. First question, how often do you trap cockroaches in your home, or other homes for that matter, and then turn them loose back into your home. Or
Mice, or rats, or ants, you get the picture...

Not sure where you are at, but if itís private property you donít own, your butt would be GONE if I found out you were turning pigs loose to destroy more property.




From my Make Believe World
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #6
woodsman08
Six Point
 
woodsman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, TX
Hunt In: Brenham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post

Not sure where you are at, but if it’s private property you don’t own, your butt would be GONE if I found out you were turning pigs loose to destroy more property.
Private property and the owner is with me. No farming anywhere near us, but would definitely get your perspective if there was.

You are good at drawing rainbows

Last edited by woodsman08; 05-17-2020 at 03:45 PM.
woodsman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
Fajkus7
Ten Point
 
Fajkus7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Conroe, TX
Hunt In: Conroe, Doss
Default

Dang y’all fellas must have a good view sitting that high on your horse. Putting a few pigs on the neuter scooter isn’t going to change anything. They get big quick and are more fun to hunt. Shoot all the ones that can breed and have fun hunting the ones that can’t. Don’t let these cry babies tell you what to do on your property. Y’all sound like a bunch of dang Democrats trying to force your will on everyone else.
Fajkus7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #8
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young
 
Muddy Bud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Jim Hogg
Default

Maybe posting this was a not so smart idea. A bar hog is just as destructive as aNY other hog. Folks lIke you are definitely part of the problem. If your going to bar them then take them with you and you and pen them up.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #9
woodsman08
Six Point
 
woodsman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, TX
Hunt In: Brenham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajkus7 View Post
Dang y’all fellas must have a good view sitting that high on your horse. Putting a few pigs on the neuter scooter isn’t going to change anything. They get big quick and are more fun to hunt. Shoot all the ones that can breed and have fun hunting the ones that can’t. Don’t let these cry babies tell you what to do on your property. Y’all sound like a bunch of dang Democrats trying to force your will on everyone else.
Definitely not stopping me Fajkus7, just don't want to listen the BS from people. Was just sharing because I thought people would enjoy following along and potentially learning something about the range, rate of growth, etc from Barr pigs.

I do understand that a lot of people have damage from pigs, me included. That being said, this is not an area where that's an issue. Frankly me releasing a few pigs isn't going to make an ounce of difference.
woodsman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #10
Fajkus7
Ten Point
 
Fajkus7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Conroe, TX
Hunt In: Conroe, Doss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman08 View Post
Definitely not stopping me Fajkus7, just don't want to listen the BS from people. Was just sharing because I thought people would enjoy following along and potentially learning something about the range, rate of growth, etc from Barr pigs.

I do understand that a lot of people have damage from pigs, me included. That being said, this is not an area where that's an issue. Frankly me releasing a few pigs isn't going to make an ounce of difference.
Especially ones that canít make any more baby pigs
Fajkus7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
twosixteens
Ten Point
 
twosixteens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion
Default

Don’t know enough about the practice of making Barr hogs to have much of an opinion one way or the other but would love to hear more about it.
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #12
woodsman08
Six Point
 
woodsman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, TX
Hunt In: Brenham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Bud View Post
Maybe posting this was a not so smart idea. A bar hog is just as destructive as aNY other hog. Folks lIke you are definitely part of the problem. If your going to bar them then take them with you and you and pen them up.
"Folks like you" I've killed 58 in the last 2 months. Still "doing my part" and releasing castrated boars to have some trophies to add to the excitement isn't something I feel is wrong. To each his own, but killing vs castrating some trapped boars isn't going to move the needle. Again, not an area were pigs are a problem, just a game animal to us.
woodsman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #13
Slick8
Pope & Young
 
Slick8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, Texas
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

Wow, a bunch of wadded up panties today.

I tell ya, for every man that releases a few barrs each year perhaps those same guys quit shooting, trapping and running them with dogs. Most who release a few barrs kill 10 times that many.

Hogs a nuecience no doubt but let's be real, all the guys that claim to be thinning the herd are simultaneously baiting them to the ranchers land. I have permission to hunt a couple of places with the mandate that we build large and sturdy pens. One even says no road chummimg which is darn near against my religion.

To the op, I hope you lopped or notched an ear so you can avoid shooting them too soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 03:44 PM   #14
30-30
Pope & Young
 
30-30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Hopkins County
Default

Folks running unfenced deer feeders are doing waaaaay more to contribute to the hog problem than those castrating boars...

Enjoy doing what you want on your own place.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
mikerosa
Eight Point
 
mikerosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Default

Nothing I love more than arrowing a bar hog. I always thank the unknown soldier who cut his cahonnes and making the perfect pork back strap.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #16
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Itís disturbing how many of you are so quick to condemn a man for what he does legally on private property.

Sound like a bunch of ****ed liberals.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #17
BTLowry
Pope & Young
 
BTLowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5
Default

Some of y'all need to lighten up

Not like someone trapping a trailer full of intact hogs and turning them loose to have some to hunt (that is part of the way we are in the shape we are now)

Like 30-30 stated, more harm in pouring the corn and protein freely to them than turning a cut boar or 2 loose
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #18
fish4food
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Calhoun County
Default

Have you done this in the past? Any pics?

I’ve only caught a couple Barred hogs with dogs. Man those were some brutes.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #19
woodsman08
Six Point
 
woodsman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, TX
Hunt In: Brenham
Default

Appreciate the responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4food View Post
Have you done this in the past? Any pics?

I’ve only caught a couple Barred hogs with dogs. Man those were some brutes.
Yes I've done it before. DM me your number and I'd be happy to share some pics, just tell me what you want to see/know. That was the plan here, but apparently TBH has some naive quick to judge members that don't know how to hit the back button.
woodsman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #20
doug
Ten Point
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: Victoria
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Itís disturbing how many of you are so quick to condemn a man for what he does legally on private property.

Sound like a bunch of ****ed liberals.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep! I'd be interested to see how many pigs the whiners actually kill. I bet the OP does a whole lot more for cutting down the pig numbers than they do! I'm sorry I missed the original post I've never seen it done!
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #21
tiberiuswade
Four Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

1sr turning any hig loose anywhere in Texas(i presume you in Texas) IS illegal.... barr hog or not..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
tiberiuswade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #22
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young
 
Dusty Britches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cameron & College Station
Default

castrated boar hogs still create a lot of damage. I still trap domestic hogs that have been turned loose or got out. Ill spend at least 60 hours fixing wallows on 120 acres this year. Hopefully I won't break a tractor axel in the process.

Personally I'd never willingly let a live hog out of a trap. You want good eating? Castrate that sucker and put him in your own hog proof pen. Feed him there.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 10:25 PM   #23
RR 314
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

We did it years ago. Would catch, castrate and dock tails and an ear and turn them loose. We shot a couple later on and they were butterballs. Never saw as many as we turned out. They became shy without their nuts. Heck, some could have died from infection.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #24
Leon County Slayer
Pope & Young
 
Leon County Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><
Default

post some pics of ones you've worked on and killed later
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 02:44 PM   #25
crittergetter76
Eight Point
 
crittergetter76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, TX
Default

Post up the process - would love to see it. I don't believe I've ever shot or trapped a barr hog. Would like to though!
crittergetter76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #26
BBReezen
Pope & Young
 
BBReezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bullard, Tx
Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties
Default

Um... the correct term is Barrow...
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #27
fish4food
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Calhoun County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiuswade View Post
1sr turning any hig loose anywhere in Texas(i presume you in Texas) IS illegal.... barr hog or not..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Whereíd you find that info?
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #28
BlackHogDown
Ten Point
 
BlackHogDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Pearland
Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston
Default

There's a reason we have different hunting zones in Texas. Some of you complaining have a COMPLETELY different hog experience than we do. Either you have a hog problem or you dont. On our family land, we don't. We view them as another game animal to hunt throughout the year. We can count on seeing a small group of hogs at a couple feeders on any given night but we are not overrun by any means. No huge sounders destroying feeders, roads, and whatnot. We trap 10 or so in any given weekend and will only release larger boars that we'd like to hunt in the future. Worth mentioning, most guys doing this are killing 50+ pigs for every barrow they release. A huge point i feel is overlooked by the nay-sayers.

I think people fail to realize that THEIR experience is not everybody's... that some people DONT have a hog problem in their surrounding area. Some people trap because its a fun thing to do throughout the weekend and an easy way to try to grow an individual pig for later hunting. Not to mention all the donated meat that goes to needy families throughout the week as our hand traps non stop.

Point is, i think there is a time/place for it and it is not inherently "BAD" as some are implying. Never seen so many people get upset over what a man is doing on his own dang property. Sound like gun grabbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
First question, how often do you trap cockroaches in your home, or other homes for that matter, and then turn them loose back into your home. Or
Mice, or rats, or ants, you get the picture...

Not sure where you are at, but if itís private property you donít own, your butt would be GONE if I found out you were turning pigs loose to destroy more property.
Though I assume it is similar, I'm not exactly sure of OP's situation so I'll only speak to my own. You are operating under the presumption that we are "overrun" and that the property isn't ours. Neither are true.

1) How often do you bait cockroaches, mice, etc for the purpose of hunting? I'm on the lookout for a few hippos on my ranch with ear notches this year. In fact, I'm driving 12 hours round trip this weekend for just that. I can only think of a single mouse-hunting thread in the history of TBH but it was pretty hilarious.

2) It IS private property so if you are telling me how to operate, it is your butt that would be "GONE." Lol Really though, someone doing this in an area where they've been hired to remove ALL pigs in order to preserve someone's livelihood is a diff story. Not what OP or myself are describing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Personally I'd never willingly let a live hog out of a trap.
With all due respect, ma'am... they aren't doing any more damage than the hogs you "unwillingly" release AKA "escapees"... These barrows, though, won't reproduce at least.


Carry on, OP.
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #29
bofos
Spike
 
bofos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Amarillo
Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.
Default

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...al_hogs/#stock


Should I stock feral hogs?
No, feral hogs are prolific breeders and can cause considerable damage. They can destroy habitat, and compete directly or indirectly with all other species of wildlife. While many hunters might like hogs as part of the lease, the adverse effects often counter any potential economic incentives. TPWD considers feral hogs nuisance animals and does not support the introduction of feral hogs. Feral hogs are considered an under-utilized resource on many Texas ranges.

The Texas Animal Health Commission has enacted regulations requiring all feral hogs in Texas to be tested and certified to be disease free before being released into the wild for whatever purposes. They may however, be legally transported to slaughter or livestock sale for slaughter. If stocking is desired, only castrated males (barrows) should be considered. Because they cannot reproduce, they will grow larger, fatter and often produce larger tusks.

Nothing illegal about it.
bofos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #30
tiberiuswade
Four Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4food View Post
Whereíd you find that info?
From TPWD......
As I work for.....why do you think trap/transport not allowed to be released.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
tiberiuswade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #31
tiberiuswade
Four Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4food View Post
Whereíd you find that info?
Please keep yourself informed regarding feral Hogs in Texas.... from TPWD and in handbook:
**************************************************
"Transportation and release of live feral hogs is unlawful, unless in compliance with Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) regulations. The TAHC regulates the movement of feral swine for disease-control purposes. For more information please call TAHC at (800) 550-8242 or visit the Texas Animal Health Commission website.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
tiberiuswade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #32
tiberiuswade
Four Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHogDown View Post
There's a reason we have different hunting zones in Texas. Some of you complaining have a COMPLETELY different hog experience than we do. Either you have a hog problem or you dont. On our family land, we don't. We view them as another game animal to hunt throughout the year. We can count on seeing a small group of hogs at a couple feeders on any given night but we are not overrun by any means. No huge sounders destroying feeders, roads, and whatnot. We trap 10 or so in any given weekend and will only release larger boars that we'd like to hunt in the future. Worth mentioning, most guys doing this are killing 50+ pigs for every barrow they release. A huge point i feel is overlooked by the nay-sayers.



I think people fail to realize that THEIR experience is not everybody's... that some people DONT have a hog problem in their surrounding area. Some people trap because its a fun thing to do throughout the weekend and an easy way to try to grow an individual pig for later hunting. Not to mention all the donated meat that goes to needy families throughout the week as our hand traps non stop.



Point is, i think there is a time/place for it and it is not inherently "BAD" as some are implying. Never seen so many people get upset over what a man is doing on his own dang property. Sound like gun grabbers.







Though I assume it is similar, I'm not exactly sure of OP's situation so I'll only speak to my own. You are operating under the presumption that we are "overrun" and that the property isn't ours. Neither are true.



1) How often do you bait cockroaches, mice, etc for the purpose of hunting? I'm on the lookout for a few hippos on my ranch with ear notches this year. In fact, I'm driving 12 hours round trip this weekend for just that. I can only think of a single mouse-hunting thread in the history of TBH but it was pretty hilarious.



2) It IS private property so if you are telling me how to operate, it is your butt that would be "GONE." Lol Really though, someone doing this in an area where they've been hired to remove ALL pigs in order to preserve someone's livelihood is a diff story. Not what OP or myself are describing.







With all due respect, ma'am... they aren't doing any more damage than the hogs you "unwillingly" release AKA "escapees"... These barrows, though, won't reproduce at least.





Carry on, OP.
Transportation and release of live feral hogs is unlawful, unless in compliance with Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) regulations. The TAHC regulates the movement of feral swine for disease-control purposes. For more information please call TAHC at (800) 550-8242 or visit the Texas Animal Health Commission website.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
tiberiuswade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 09:51 AM   #33
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default Trophy Hog Quest

He didnít transport them, as I recall.

People have been catching and cutting hogs for as long as there have been hogs here.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com