hill country state natural area - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hill country state natural area - help

my search function isn't working for some reason so thought i'd ask if anyone has hunted the hill country State natural area just outside Bandera? my son and I were drawn for the gda/s hunt Jan 14-16 and i'm trying to decide if i want to go. I put in for the hunt for my son but he has perfect attendance and he doesn't want to miss school. You can also shoot unlimited exotics but i have no idea if they have many or not. If anyone can share any info on the area i'd appreciate it.

All I can say is good luck. My brother and I got to hunt there 2 years ago and we were give a unit behind the camp house. The camp house is nice if you can get a room.

Lots of walking and carrying pop-up blinds. We didn't see any trails. No deer were shot on our hunt.

Comment

I shot a nice 8 pt there 4 years ago. Back then they gave you a compartment to hunt. Now you get assigned blinds. There are alot of deer but exotics are limited. They have a aoudad but not much else.

Comment

thanks guys, not sure if its worth 3 days vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
          thanks guys, not sure if its worth 3 days vacation.
          You crazy man, hunting a new spot always worth 3 days of vaca, just to see the land if nothin else, tho I will admit being limited to one blind is kind of boring.

I'd still go!

Comment

I hunted there in 2014 on an antlerless hunt. Believe it or not all we saw were several young bucks except for one older very nice buck. We were able to hunt anywhere in our assigned compartment. We chose to hunt on a power line right of way that we liked west of the park headquarters. We climbed a fairly tall hill that seemed to be straight up and then hiked back for quite awhile to get away from were anyone may have been before. My wife ended up twisting her ankle and I had to take her to the hospital in Boerne. I did shoot a couple of hogs but got skunked on antlerless.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by axisguy View Post
              I hunted there in 2014 on an antlerless hunt. Believe it or not all we saw were several young bucks except for one older very nice buck. We were able to hunt anywhere in our assigned compartment. We chose to hunt on a power line right of way that we liked west of the park headquarters. We climbed a fairly tall hill that seemed to be straight up and then hiked back for quite awhile to get away from were anyone may have been before. My wife ended up twisting her ankle and I had to take her to the hospital in Boerne. I did shoot a couple of hogs but got skunked on antlerless.
              That's awesome! I was wondering if anyone else actually hiked back in that valley. Last time I was there my buddy got drawn for a standby position and one day we made that hike and spent the better part of a day back in that valley. Jumped some hogs and wild goats and he shot and carried out a doe. It was beautiful back in there!

Comment

Working...
              X