Critique my dog kennel plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique my dog kennel plans

About to build a concrete dog kennel with cinder block enclosures. Have plans for 3 dog and 2 dog. Highly doubtful I’ll ever more more than 2 at a time. I will run electricity and water to it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the first set of plans

Comment

That's pretty fancy. I like the first one ..... I think you will need curbs at least at the back to keep out water. Will the bedding area be raised? I personally am not a fan of chain link but that's just me. I would go with 2x4 or 4x4 horse panels.

Comment

Slope the slab substantially from the "dog house" out to the edge, and turn the concrete block back in a foot or more to block wind and blowing rain.

Comment

Your storage area might get a little tight. It is showing 4 foot, but that is exterior wall to exterior. Less the cinder block thickness and your interior dimensions are closer to a 3 x 10 room. Add a storage shelf and bags of food, that 3 foot gets narrow quickly.

Also, a 3 foot gate is easy to jump for a dog who is an escape artists. I'd do 6 or better yet 8 foot.

Comment

Put a trench in front of the pens and a slight slop from back to front. When you go to wash down the pens you need somewhere for the water to go. I have used 6" pcv slit in half. It doesn't need much of a slope but you don't want water to stand. Also think about where you want the water to drain to.

Comment

So my initial thought was to slope the entire kennel towards the "right side" and curb where the chain link fence is in the dog run area to allow me to wash everything towards the right side...then ill collect the crap with shovel, tractor bucket, whatever...

dale, hadnt thought about sloping from bed area out...hmmm

the 3 foot gate is a mistake...it will be 6-8 foot gates for sure...good point on storage area....it was mainly for food...but i usually keep all feed around my place in commercial food container bins they use to import food in and out of the country...they are awesome...the open area on the back kennel i can put shelves to store other junk, bumpers, etc...

doright thats interesting...i could just slope from the back to front with curbs on the sides of the runs to a trench vs sloping the entire this from "left to right"

Comment

One thing we did not do from the get go when we put in our runs is put in a drain. We had someone come back and do it later and it helps a bunch when you have to spray the runs out. When you spray em out or it rains a bunch that water runs off the end of your roof it just makes an absolute mess off the end of your slab. We got the drain connected to our drainage ditch that runs out to the ditch in front of our house.

Comment

More space for them to be alone/away from other dogs. Kennels with only chain link between pens are loud and unsettling for the dogs. There are many dogs that are friendly at a dog park running free but aggressive at a fence or on a leash.
                  If it were mine I would put a visual barrier between the pens.
                  Cover the whole thing.
                  Slope to drain and curb or elevate the sleeping/rest area.

Comment

Oh and while you are doing it I'd just go ahead and make a 4th run if space is not an issue. It'll be cheaper to do it now than to have someone come back and do it later if you ever need to expand.

Comment

Also, 4' O.D. on cinder block means an I.D. of 2'-8", which is not much space for a "walk-in" closet or much room for a dog to lay out or more importantly a person to get in there and bend over to pick stuff up and/or clean.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                        Also, 4' O.D. on cinder block means an I.D. of 2'-8", which is not much space for a "walk-in" closet or much room for a dog to lay out or more importantly a person to get in there and bend over to pick stuff up and/or clean.
                        Agreed. I'd take the internal wall and door off the storage and just have it blocked off from 2 sides. We keep our dog food in a good 50 gallon trash can halfway covered by the roof and have had no issues with rain getting in it.

Comment

I just realized you live in LaBelle. If you'd like to come by and see our runs and maybe get some ideas from them shoot me a pm and we can figure out a time that works. I'm not far off South Major Drive in Beaumont.

Comment

Use 4" thick block, and center them on your 4' marks where possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-11-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Be sure and brush finish on the slab. That will help condition the dogs feet and help keep t he nails down.
                              Be sure and slope the slab to a drain to remove water when you wash the slab. I set mine on a timer. Made a piece of pvc pipe with holes all the way across to wash down,wet the slab,on a regular basis. The houses were raised so the dogs could lie on them. Covered so they would be shaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X