Afternoon turkeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon turkeys?

Anybody ever have any luck hunting turkeys after lunch? I'm going to give it a shot today what do y'all think?

Killed my biggest last year at 4:00 pm.

Comment

I have shot more turkeys after the lunch hour than the first two hours of light. Do you stalk hunt or sit in a blind?

Comment

Originally posted by Chouse12 View Post
        I have shot more turkeys after the lunch hour than the first two hours of light. Do you stalk hunt or sit in a blind?

I stalk run and gun I guess

Comment

What tactics do y'all use? I plan on calling in locating and setting up with the Jake decoy. I bought the funky chicken Jake

Comment

I have walked and called and set up a blind when hunting with a bow and just cold called every 10 to 15 minutes. May want to get a hen decoy.

Comment

The mild weather should be good for an afternoon hunt. Good Luck! Hope you get a longbeard! Post the LDP's!

Comment

Most of my turkey hunting experience has taken place in the fields and forests of Mississippi, and I have put in my share of hours in the turkey hunting woods. I used to practically live in the woods during the spring turkey season.

Although the most fun is to be had catching the birds off the roost early in the morning, when it comes down to killing a tough old gobbler my money is on the afternoon hunt every time. All you have to do is know a birds habits & haunts and be patient and mobile, maybe a little soft calling to lure him in those last few steps sometimes.

good luck and have fun!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep y'all updated.

Comment

Killed my first an hr before dark. And probably 1/4 of my kills have been in the afternoon/evenings. Cannt kill on the couch.

Comment

I have a funny afternoon turkey story. At our last lease NW of San Angelo we had a group there opening weekend. There was one area on the 5,000 acre ranch that held lots of birds. It was 30 mph wind and most the guys were hanging out at the cabin saying we were crazy to waste the time chasing them on a windy afternoon. We drove to the area at about 4pm, parked, starting walking towards the woods, a cow moo'ed, a gobbler shock gobbled so we scurried to the brush and set up. I did 2 yelps on my box call and 4 longbeards started gobbling and running at us full speed. Luckily they were downwind or they probably wouldn't have heard the yelps. I shot at 1 coming at me and killed 2 with that shot and my buddy shots another one. All this happened within 3 minutes of us getting out of the truck. Three 9" beards. Needles to say we drove back to camp and surprised the heck out of our lazy beer drinking buddies at camp. You never know what will happen in the turkey woods. That hunt made up for a lot where I got totally outsmarted by those birds.

Comment

Toms often loose track of their hens late in the morning and go in search for them.

Toms that are otherwise henned up in the early hours are really vulnerable to the call once they get separated from their hens and go in search for them. A lost yelp works really well during midday.

I have killed more birds between the hours of 10 & 2 than any other time.

Best of Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                          Toms often loose track of their hens late in the morning and go in search for them.

Toms that are otherwise henned up in the early hours are really vulnerable to the call once they get separated from their hens and go in search for them. A lost yelp works really well during midday.

I have killed more birds between the hours of 10 & 2 than any other time.

Best of Luck!
                          This!! I love me some mid day turkey hunting. Alot of times they will come back looking for you after they finish up with their morning hen!!

Comment

Working...
                          X