Shilen vs Brux barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Is there any reason that's the only two choices you have? There are several fantastic barrel manufacturers out there. My preferred barrel makers are Krieger and Bartlein. Put me in the crowd that prefers cut rifling over button pulled. And I'm a huge fan of 5R type rifling.

If I were replacing a factory rifle barrel I would consider Shilen but otherwise it's going to be one of the others for me.
    I've a couple connections on these barrels so that's why I asked about the 2 barrels. I've looked at the Krieger and Bartlein and they definitely look great, but looking at website it kinda looks confusing to figure out cost,etc(have not personally called yet) There's so much out there so I'm trying to keep search narrow and not get jacked up in head cause at some point you can get into a "chevy" vs "ford" debate.. There comes a point to where you just pay the price of great equipment then it's up the the shooter to have confidence in his/her setup and just shoot ragged hole like it's supposed to
    Thanks for all info from everyone and still would like to hear more.

Comment

Bartlein then Krieger For me

Between the two you listed I would go with brux

Comment

Of the two, Brux would be the way in my opinion. However, as MikeD stated, you can have some other options of great barrels. I'm a large fan of Broughton as Krieger is great but the wait is LONG. Attached is a 300 yard 4 shot group (I know bench shows 100 & 200 yd. but you can shoot the 300 target from it as well. Just wanted to clarify) from yesterday out of my Straight .284 26" Broughton barrel, Manners T3, BP'd 700 action with 54.0 grns of H4831sc seated .020 off lands. Almost ZERO vertical...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kck; 12-23-2014, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I'll let you know when I get my Brux barrel...I've been waiting over 8 months

Comment

For stocks you might want to look at a Game Scout by MCM. It gives you the A3 grip. I have about 12 weeks left before my build will be done by the GS. I also went with 6.5X284.

Comment

Out of the top 50 bench rest shooters in the world this is the breakdown

26- bartlein
              9- benchmark
              4- hawk hill
              3- kreiger

30- bartlein
              9 kreiger
              6- Brux
              and no one else more than 3

Now I know it may be because bartlein sponsors more shooters but there has to be a reason that many of the top 50 are using them. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                I've a couple connections on these barrels so that's why I asked about the 2 barrels. I've looked at the Krieger and Bartlein and they definitely look great, but looking at website it kinda looks confusing to figure out cost,etc(have not personally called yet) There's so much out there so I'm trying to keep search narrow and not get jacked up in head cause at some point you can get into a "chevy" vs "ford" debate.. There comes a point to where you just pay the price of great equipment then it's up the the shooter to have confidence in his/her setup and just shoot ragged hole like it's supposed to
                Thanks for all info from everyone and still would like to hear more.
                If any look confusing just call. Frank at bartlein is probably one of the most helpful guys you'll come across. With either them or krieger, your wait time will be +/- 6 months but both with have overruns or cancellations that are available for immediate shipping. Both will cost you +/- 350 bucks for a stainless in a standard contour and no special rifling. I would rather wait on one from them and have it perfect in lieu of getting one elsewhere and end up with a factory spec barrel. Good luck with your build!

Comment

Shilen vs Brux barrel

Here's 2 I had handy from one of my bartlein's

8 twist #4 chambered in 6.5x284

Last edited by hweissert; 12-23-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I have a Krieger (280ai), Lilja (257wby), & Shilen (308 win)......really cant go wrong with any of them....all shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                      Of the two, Brux would be the way in my opinion. However, as MikeD stated, you can have some other options of great barrels. I'm a large fan of Broughton as Krieger is great but the wait is LONG. Attached is a 300 yard 4 shot group (I know bench shows 100 & 200 yd. but you can shoot the 300 target from it as well. Just wanted to clarify) from yesterday out of my Straight .284 26" Broughton barrel, Manners T3, BP'd 700 action with 54.0 grns of H4831sc seated .020 off lands. Almost ZERO vertical...
                      That pic was taken at the Fayette County gun club. Did Dale H. happen to build that rifle for you? If so, I can guarantee it shoots lights out!

Dave

Comment

Berettadave, Mr. H didn't build this one for me as it came from Russell out at Scout Supply Company in Warda just north of La Grange. Our own TBHer "Dave" had his hands on this one some as well so we know it's right . Mr. H is still building some VERY fine ones even though he's getting up there in age now and I've shot a couple of his and, yessir, they WILL shoot! Russell at Scout Supply builds a HELLUVA gun but he's pretty swamped right now. He has a good relationship with the folks at Broughton and has quite a few barrels in his shop so there's no lead on barrels. If you're down this way shoot me a PM before hand and we'll shoot some!

Comment

I went with a Mcgowen because I could have one in two weeks and I didn't want to wait any longer. :-) My buddy went with a Shilen and it took about 6 months to get it. Both of our 6.5X284 builds turned out fantastic and shoot lights out. Both of us were new to long range shooting and these rifles made us look like we were good shooters. Nothing but good things to say about both barrels we got.

3 shot group at 100

5 shot group at 200

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                            Berettadave, Mr. H didn't build this one for me as it came from Russell out at Scout Supply Company in Warda just north of La Grange. Our own TBHer "Dave" had his hands on this one some as well so we know it's right . Mr. H is still building some VERY fine ones even though he's getting up there in age now and I've shot a couple of his and, yessir, they WILL shoot! Russell at Scout Supply builds a HELLUVA gun but he's pretty swamped right now. He has a good relationship with the folks at Broughton and has quite a few barrels in his shop so there's no lead on barrels. If you're down this way shoot me a PM before hand and we'll shoot some!

Dale builds a fine rifle. He's built several for a good friend of mine who lives around LaGrange. He's a neat guy to visit with too. I haven't shot rifles at the range there but have shot several times with my shotgun. May see you there some time

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X