What say you, .280 or .284

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kck View Post
    I've got a 284 built on a Rem long action to seat berger 168's out and love it. IMO, building on a short action sure limits your bullet/seating depths with magazine constraints.
    Question Sir - with a long action have you had any feeding issues related to your magazine? (i.e. LA magazine too "long" for the .284 rounds) If not, what type of magazine are you running?

Comment

I am 7mm Rem Mag guy but I'd go with the .280 AI before either of those.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
        Question Sir - with a long action have you had any feeding issues related to your magazine? (i.e. LA magazine too "long" for the .284 rounds) If not, what type of magazine are you running?
        I haven't. That was something I was concerned about and asked my GS about it but he assured me it wouldn't be an issue and it hasn't. I don't us a detachable mag as I liked the plain jane 3 round drop in and so far I've had no issues

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
          I haven't. That was something I was concerned about and asked my GS about it but he assured me it wouldn't be an issue and it hasn't. I don't us a detachable mag as I liked the plain jane 3 round drop in and so far I've had no issues
          Thanks - sorry for the diversion OP. Please return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Comment

Hey, thanks to all so far. No problem with the feed question cause that was my next also. The build will be on a LA . I never thought of an AI or the 6.5 variant, both awesome choices. I think the 25 may be small for my liking but I am going to do lots more research on all these. You guys are making all this hard. In a good way

Comment

280 Remington

Comment

I love my 280, it is a sure killer!

And about the 25, I love my 257 also

Comment

You will absolutely love the 280AI...it's really the best choice.

Comment

.284 is a great round, but lack of available ammo and price of shipping makes it a safe queen

Comment

After spending most the night reading, I think I'm leaning toward the 280 AI. It seems to fit the mold in my mind better. Thanks for all the info guys. Now I just got to find the right action to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                        280 AI. 7 mag performance with less powder and recoil.
                        Yep!

Comment

Love my 280 AI!!

Comment

my 284 is EXPENSIVE to shoot

Comment

I'm no help, but I've really enjoyed this thread because my hunting buddies and I were going through this same thing back in the early 70s. Two of my buddies were shooting the 284 and I loved it but Winchester was discontinuing production and the 280 was coming on strong. However I went a completely different route. I just never thought this would be a subject for discussion over 40 years later.

Both are good rounds.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                                my 284 is EXPENSIVE to shoot

you're obviously not reloading , if you were it would cost around :

.63 cents per round, and $12.61 for a box of 20 rds.

1 pound of powder will yield around 140 loads/charges (50.0 grs)

primers are $32.00 for 1000

Nosler bullets are $21.00 for 50 ct.

I'm guessing you already have fired brass to work with

reloading cost calculator ... http://ultimatereloader.com/tools/re...ts-calculator/

Comment

Working...
                                X