Abilene Indian Artfacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abilene Indian Artfacts

We have started digging for artifacts at our place in south Taylor county, about 20 miles southwest of Abilene. We have found a few arrowheads and spear points on the surface over the last several years, and the rancher who used to lease the place said he always found arrowheads and spear points near the old homesite. There is an old creekbed about 100 yards away on the neighbors property, and this site is on a flat area just up from the creekbank. I have seen a lot of flakes on the surface in the area, and I found what I think is a trading blank, so we decided to start digging to see what we could turn up. I dug a hole with the skid steer, and my son found this point within about 5 minutes:

We found a lot of small flakes in that hole, and one other spear point not quite as worked as this one, but stopped finding anything about 2.5' down. We are going to move over and try again.

Any idea how old his might be? Any good book suggestions for artifact ID?

Could be a worked down Harahey

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      Could be a worked down Harahey
      Yep it could. Its thin though without obvious bevel. My guess would be Archaic knife of some sort (4,000ish years old). If the base is dulled it could be something older though. Please post the other points.

By the way, if you arent screening that dirt, you are missing points.

As for books, the best beginner guide is probably Overstreets Indian Arrowheads.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll get some pictures of the other points posted up. We have been spreading the dirt out on the ground and sorting through it by hand, but after about 5 minutes of that I decided I need to build a screening table of some sort.

Comment

I don't know anything about arrow heads but that is really cool!

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
            Thanks for the quick replies. I'll get some pictures of the other points posted up. We have been spreading the dirt out on the ground and sorting through it by hand, but after about 5 minutes of that I decided I need to build a screening table of some sort.
            When it rains on that dirt, you will be stunned what yall missed. Post pics of the other side of that blade as well. Just wondering if its flat on the other side or flaked.

Comment

Here is one my niece found laying between two cedars about 75 yards from our dig site. This is the only other picture I have in my phone...ill have to get the others later.

Comment

There ya go! thats a Paleo base for sure! Your new blade has some Paleo characteristics as well but nothing I can be assured of from the pics. Have you found anything else based like that?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Yep it could. Its thin though without obvious bevel. My guess would be Archaic knife of some sort (4,000ish years old). If the base is dulled it could be something older though. Please post the other points.

By the way, if you arent screening that dirt, you are missing points.

As for books, the best beginner guide is probably Overstreets Indian Arrowheads.
                  Reason I would think Harahey would be how the base is worked and the area. Archaic knife surely covers it though.

Comment

Post some better side shots of the original piece a little more focused with some natural light.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                      Post some better side shots of the original piece a little more focused with some natural light.
                      We are in agreement, There are hints though that it might be something entirely different like the big shot all the way across the face and the indication that it might have origionated as a core struck blade. Also the smooth edges at the base that look ground.... Just hints without having it in-hand though.

Comment

super cool finds!

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            We are in agreement, There are hints though that it might be something entirely different like the big shot all the way across the face and the indication that it might have origionated as a core struck blade. Also the smooth edges at the base that look ground.... Just hints without having it in-hand though.
                            For sure base is definitely interesting.

Comment

Looks like a middle archaic piece at first glance and the level it came out of. A few better pics with lighting would clear that up. I bet there are some dandies in that camp! Also that Paleo base (looks Clovis to me) is a great sign that more of that could pop up as well.

Keep the updates and pics coming.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Johnny; 06-26-2016, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X