Shoot or Pass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot or Pass?

A little lease background here: We're on 125 acres of low-fenced land. Everyone hunts all around us; 360 degrees. Some people are residents of their property and there are some that lease. Neighbors have told us that their typical rule is that they will only shoot 8pt or better in an attempt to manage the deer; which I'm perfectly fine with. We have no AR in our county, but other than taking old culls, I'll try to stick with only shooting bucks that are outside the ears. We've heard rumor that a group of hunters, on a bordering property, will shoot anything and everything. That said...

My question is, being such small acreage and low-fence, would any of you shoot or pass on these two deer? Consensus says the first deer with bigger antlers is approx. 3.5 years old; so far these are the biggest antlers we've caught on camera. I'm assuming the second deer is a year older (I'm not great at aging). His antlers aren't the biggest by any means, but he's definitely got the biggest body I've seen out there; perhaps the biggest bodied white tail I've personally laid eyes on. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
    Attached Files

He looks like good meat to me I’d shoot

Comment

Aging is accurate as far as I can tell. I'd shoot the older and pass the younger.

Comment

2nd deer would get whacked

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
          2nd deer would get whacked
          X-2

Comment

The 2nd buck looks tasty. If I had a tag still and it was late December, he would be dinner.

Comment

They need to go to AR state wide, put everyone on same page

2nd buck has not missed any meals

Comment

Worrying about what your neighbors do shouldn’t factor into your decision.

The second deer is older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

if you like him shoot

Comment

Why not shot?

Comment

“Neighbors have told us the typical rule is that they will only shoot an 8 pt or better in an attempt to manage the deer”

Wow, it truly amazes me that people can see the key to truly managing places can only be done with age yet continue to shoot whatever walks out with 8+ points.

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                        Worrying about what your neighbors do shouldn’t factor into your decision.

The second deer is older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure those neighbors would agree with you

I'd definitely shoot the buck in the 2nd pic. Deer management is only as good as the people hunting the deer. If you have a group that shoots everything right next to your 100+ acres then don't expect any management plan to be successful. That's a small piece of property you are on. The buck you pass will probably their next kill as soon as it walks off your place. That being said try talking to those guys, and see if you can get everyone on the same page.
                        Last edited by AntlerCollector; 12-11-2017, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GtownBowhunter View Post
                          “Neighbors have told us the typical rule is that they will only shoot an 8 pt or better in an attempt to manage the deer”

Wow, it truly amazes me that people can see the key to truly managing places can only be done with age yet continue to shoot whatever walks out with 8+ points.
                          I agree.

Comment

2nd deer old. 1st deer young

Comment

I agree with most that the 2nd deer is a better shooter. With that said, if both deer are legal, don't worry about others passing judgment. Not everyone has the luxury of hunting large acre, high fenced properties where they can control what gets shot.

I've hunted small acreage in a densely hunted area before and understand your point of view. That is especially if shot opportunities are few and far between.

Comment

Working...
                              X