Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here has hunted the Chap in December?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who here has hunted the Chap in December?

How does the process work with different areas?

Rules?

Rifle hunt.

congrats. office staff will carve up the ranch. it is divided into 2 high fence sides east & west. they create alot of smaller compartments. you draw based on your permit number.

look for draws and thick areas. the whole ranch is good. take stands with you and you can bait there.

Comment

Good info. Prefer to build a brush blind if that is allowed?

Is there a corn limit?

Comment

yes, that is allowed. the brush will bite you though. pop up, brushed in on the edge of a sendero or overlooking water works well.

Where they have tripods set up are generally good locations. Once in your compartment, drive the senderos looking for trails crossing. Set up multiple places with cameras to see what is coming in.

It has been real dry down there. If you can find water, go for it. Also...they got warthogs down there. I would sit all day if you can.

And...once the Javis find your corn...they will be there all the time. No limit on corn.

good luck

Comment

As hard as it is to say, the chap may be a disappointment for you.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            No it absolutely will not be.

You have no idea how excited I am to go sit in a brush blind in good south Texas country with absolutely no chance of knowing the deer that walk out.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
              No it absolutely will not be.

You have no idea how excited I am to go sit in a brush blind in good south Texas country with absolutely no chance of knowing the deer that walk out.
              One the best post I have read all day! I imagine the excitement of not knowing, not working, not guiding sounds pretty **** fun. I am of no help but when's the hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                one the best post i have read all day! I imagine the excitement of not knowing, not working, not guiding sounds pretty **** fun. I am of no help but when's the hunt?
                12/11-12/15

Comment

I am gonna go down on 12/5 for the archery standby. Long shot, but I will do it. Will let you know how that goes.

The new manager there has gotten his deer numbers down where he was aspiring ... and that is 1 deer per 25 acres i think.

Chap has had a few years where they had very low fawn survival rates. Which translates to low numbers of mature bucks down the road.

But it is still my favorite place to hunt.

Comment

The staff will be a huge help. Listen to them. Plan to scout. Bring game cameras and set them out in several likely places. Pray for weather and a hot doe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                      Just curious why you say that?

Comment

How many are in your group?

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
                          Just curious why you say that?

Because Encinal has no shortage of monster bucks to shoot on his own place.

Comment

Oh I just saw he was replying to encinal... I get it now.
                            Last edited by JayKen86; 09-16-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I got drawn for Archery down there last December. They got us into the compartments so late, all we had time to do was jump into one of the youth blinds and just watch. It was a good way to see where they were crossing. Did the same thing the next morning and then built ground blinds and put up tripods and cameras after that. My plan worked out just fine, but my execution failed when I missed a good buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X