Electric fence on food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric fence on food plot

We are thinking of an “offset” electric wires around a small plot.
    We want to keep the deer out until the plot gets started.
    If we put the low / high wires. Will they keep out pigs or will the pigs tear them up on the initial shock or will they keep pigs out too.?
    Any first hand knowledge?

FYI. Brown county. At Centerville I have woven wire fences around our two best plots.
    Thanks BP

I want to try that too. You go first !

Comment

In my opinion its a bad idea. Your planting something that you want the animals to eat later on but will shock them to keep them out now. You plan on taking the fence down completely when you turn it off? If not they wont come in.

Comment

I have a LOT of experience with e-fences and soybeans. If you can find my Facebook page for Silvitech,inc there are tons of pics. I did have a hog or two get into one field this year,they caused no damage. You may want to lower the height of the low wire a couple of inches for pigs.

Comment

I have it around 2 of my 3 food plots. I will have tape around all 3 next year. It is pricey and time consuming. That said when done properly it flat works.

The 2 plots that have tape around them are about 1.5 acres each. I had peas about 2 feet tall when I took down the wire and let the deer in. The one without tape this year is about 2.5 acres and I never had a pea over 4" tall.

The 2 with tape are about 500 yards apart so they see the same deer. The 2.5 acre plot is about 3/4 of a mile from the other 2 so it is getting some different deer.

I use only solar chargers and had the worst luck with the ones I was buying. I could never get one that worked. I went through 3 or 4 from TSC before I switched to Gallagher. They are expensive but they are the Cadillac. They will nock you crosseyed.

Don't ask me how I know ��
          Last edited by turkeyhunter1; 08-18-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I am afraid the hogs will really tear it up.

Plan on removing after plot is established.

We will let you know.

BP

Comment

I have never had trouble with deer eating all my beans/peas. I've been growing them for ten years now and doing well, except for this year. The hogs ate my seed after it was planted. Of course it was a moot point because of the lack of rainfall. They wouldn't have made it anyway. I just need a way to keep the frickin hogs away. I think next spring I'm gonna use an old farmer's trick and put out corn away from my plots for about a week after planting. I know corn farmers who do this and they say it works. Makes sense to me that they'd eat it on top before they'd go rooting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                I have never had trouble with deer eating all my beans/peas. I've been growing them for ten years now and doing well, except for this year. The hogs ate my seed after it was planted. Of course it was a moot point because of the lack of rainfall. They wouldn't have made it anyway. I just need a way to keep the frickin hogs away. I think next spring I'm gonna use an old farmer's trick and put out corn away from my plots for about a week after planting. I know corn farmers who do this and they say it works. Makes sense to me that they'd eat it on top before they'd go rooting for it.
                We want to plant small plots and we have a lot of deer. Every year I planted lab lab it was overgrazed and “killed”. But if you can plant larger plots I assume some would survive without protection. In cages, lab lab does well in our Leon co soil.

Comment

I don’t what your deer numbers are, but here, a 5 ac field of beans won’t get 6” tall. Farmer’s here put fences on fields. I’ve seen fences on 500 ac fields.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                    We want to plant small plots and we have a lot of deer. Every year I planted lab lab it was overgrazed and “killed”. But if you can plant larger plots I assume some would survive without protection. In cages, lab lab does well in our Leon co soil.
                    My deer density is not that high. I imagine the E-fence would be your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      My deer density is not that high. I imagine the E-fence would be your best bet.
                      Thanks. But the resl question are the pigs gonna get in?
                      We got more pigs than deer.

Comment

you put a 20 mile box on that small area run a +/- set up so if it gets dry it still goes to ground it will light them up .

So lets say you run three wires the bottom two are the pig zappers .

I am running this set up on the area around the camp site to keep both pigs and cattle away from the RV's

Comment

Thank you for the real life experience.
                          Sounds like a great plan

BP

Comment

Working...
                          X