Need help with an injured dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with an injured dog

I have a 60 lb. standard poodle that has blown the ACLs in both hind legs and cannot stand up. We can take him outside by putting a bed sheet under his belly and supporting his hind end. The problem is getting him to pee and poop. He can't relax enough to go. Does anyone know of any ways to help him? Any help is appreciated.

Surgery. My weim tore his acl when he was 9 months old. Recovery time was about 8 weeks

This was him coming home from surgery lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What did your Vet say was the best treatment option???

Comment

Sorry, but I can't stand this type of deal. You know the dog is in immense pain and discomfort, but you do nothing. Go to a vet and get it fixed.

Comment

The treatment is surgery. It's going to cost $6000.00 to get that done and we're trying to work that out. That's not the issue. The problem is in the mean time how do we help him go pee and poop?

Comment

Vet or bullet

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
              Sorry, but I can't stand this type of deal. You know the dog is in immense pain and discomfort, but you do nothing. Go to a vet and get it fixed.
              Apparently you didn't understand my post. I'm not doing nothing. We've seen the vet and are taking care of the injury, but as noted in someone's reply, recovery is not instant. In the mean time, how do I help him potty?

Comment

No help but hope it all works out.

Prayers up for your dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
                  The treatment is surgery. It's going to cost $6000.00 to get that done and we're trying to work that out. That's not the issue. The problem is in the mean time how do we help him go pee and poop?
                  $6000 is a load of crap. $1700 for my first $900 for the next 2. Find a vet that will not stick it up your you know what. Get it fixed ASAP and i hope you find a way to make the dog comfortable until that time snd help him with the problems you are experience now.

Comment

I just had my mastiff knee fixed . Torn acl/mcl . One knee was hard on her . Can’t imagine what your dog is going through. I had to help her walk with a towel the first few days .

Comment

Something like this harness usually works better than a towel around the waist (although that's better than nothing in a pinch).

Make sure he has good pain control.

Did he injure both legs at the same time?

How old is he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes. It's breaking my heart to see him try to deal with this, but he's going to get through it. Mudslinger, thanks for the information, I'll get a second opinion.

Comment

Coon all three of these procedures were on 2 of my Rottweilers and both had no problems after the surgery. Hope things work out for you snd the pup!

Comment

Yeah, $6000 seems high. Get a second opinion for sure. Till then, get him some pain killers to help him relax a bit when you take him outside to go to the restroom

Comment

Originally posted by sandhillhunter View Post
                              Something like this harness usually works better than a towel around the waist (although that's better than nothing in a pinch).

Make sure he has good pain control.

Did he injure both legs at the same time?

How old is he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              No, he injured the right leg first and before we could get anything done, the other popped as he was walking up the steps of our deck a few days later. He's 6 years old. He's on pain meds now and doesn't seem to be hurting. We are looking at the slings and hope they will help.

Comment

Working...
                              X