Home Made Laundry Detergent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Made Laundry Detergent

Not sure if this should be here or in the recipe section!

My wife's cousins have been making their own detergent for quite a while now and I got interested in it. I have now made two batches and thought I would share as the first batch has worked out tremendously. It is super simple and very cheap to make. The ingredients you buy for the initial run will make 8-10 batches of two gallons each taking your price per load to pennies.

Put 1 gallon of water into the biggest pot you have (I bought a cheap 3 gallon from Wally world because you don't want to cook food in the pot after you have made soap....so I'm told) and add a bar of grated soap(any flavor). Cook to dissolve. Add one cup of borax and one cup of washing soda (arm and hammer-both can be found on the laundry isle). Bring to a boil-it will begin to coagulate. Turn off heat add a gallon of cold water. Stir well. Put into containers(we use old deteregent bottle or gallon milk jugs/juice jugs). Use 1/2 cup per load.

It doesn't get as sudzy as the brand soap, but seems to clean just as well. We still pre spot with shout or something if I have spilled some chilli on a shirt.

does this work with HE machines?

Comment

not sure, but don't see why it wouldn't?!? Do you use regular liquid detergent in those now?

Comment

I have a co worker that is onto this as well for the HE washers. He and his wife use a recipe that she found on the Pintrest or whatever that site is, lol.

That recipe will make 5 gallons at a time I think. They swear by it in their HE units. Initial startup price was like $12-14 for the first 5 gallons and now it is $1 per batch as the ingredients from initial purchase will make 8-10 batches of 5 gallons per run.

Comment

Do they make a scented soap? My wife always complains about the cost of detergent but she probably wouldn't like it if it doesn't smell just awesome.

Comment

My wife has been making this for our front load HE washer for the past 4 years. Our simple calculation is we have saved about $1600 dollars over the past 4 years, in laundry detergent. (Our machine runs pretty much all day with 5 people in the house)

Works great....and its almost scent free (to me anyway).

Comment

good info, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Habanarrow View Post
                good info, thanks!
                X2

Comment

Sounds interesting

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBear View Post
                    Do they make a scented soap? My wife always complains about the cost of detergent but she probably wouldn't like it if it doesn't smell just awesome.
                    whatever bar soap you use will give you the scent. It also changes the color! I would imagine if I used my green Irish spring it would look and smell like minty snot!

Comment

I will have to try this. Laundry detergent is way too expensive!

Comment

I made the dry recipe. Going to try it today.

2 cups Borax
                        2 cups laundry soda
                        2 cups oxy clean
                        1 bar Zote laudry soap shreded

use 1/2 table spoon for small load 1 table spoon for large load.

Comment

Forgot pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346319574.033607.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	24110304

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346319598.847795.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	24110305

Comment

Purdy good ideas all the way around!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I just made another patch that will late about 2-3 months (If I can stop giving it to the kids) took about 30 minute. works great and save a lot of money

Comment

Working...
                              X