Webb cty surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthernCamo View Post
    Once you see how much bigger deer can get going from 6.5 to 7.5 or even 7.5 to 8.5 the gamble becomes easier. Obviously I have great trust with my lease members and even the hunters adjacent to our pasture. I can also say that if someone like Webb09 ends up killing that deer then I can know it went to a guy that contributes on the same level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That is the right way to look at it. Well said.

Comment

Low fence hunting will keep you humble, it does me anyway. I post this comment absolutely without any claim of ownership, but I do have several years history with that deer. The deer is a good ways from his home range but they do like to take a few field trips in the summer. Walked him last year at 6.5 yo, had him rough scored in the 190s, I was confident that other members in my immediate and adjacent pasture wouldn't shoot him if I put him on the no shoot list and sure enough he lived. Hadn't pulled my cards in a month and wasn't sure if Webb09 was two pastures away but sure enough he is. Here are a couple pics from last year

Wow! That's pretty cool!

Comment

Well said Southern Camo. My last trophy was my avatar killed in 2012.

Comment

great deer. I hope you arrow him in October before he breaks all that trash up. At 7 he's spread his toadness around enough

Comment

Low fence hunting will keep you humble, it does me anyway. I post this comment absolutely without any claim of ownership, but I do have several years history with that deer. The deer is a good ways from his home range but they do like to take a few field trips in the summer. Walked him last year at 6.5 yo, had him rough scored in the 190s, I was confident that other members in my immediate and adjacent pasture wouldn't shoot him if I put him on the no shoot list and sure enough he lived. Hadn't pulled my cards in a month and wasn't sure if Webb09 was two pastures away but sure enough he is. Here are a couple pics from last year

That's awesome. I share your pain as I've shared a few big bucks like that. I hope someone that deserves him gets him. Pretty impressive to walk him last year, I sure hope it pays off for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
              That's awesome. I share your pain as I've shared a few big bucks like that. I hope someone that deserves him gets him. Pretty impressive to walk him last year, I sure hope it pays off for you

I won't pretend to not care who shoots the deer, or if he will score more than last year that is natural. That said there is tremendous satisfaction in knowing that I didn't act out of fear last year and kill him before he had a chance to reach his potential. In essence the fact that it survived the season and is in the equation this year I can tell you the decision has paid off for me already and no matter who kills the deer I would do the same again. I haven't always been that way but that is where I am at as a hunter. I am a little different in that I am absolutely a trophy hunter but that deer doesn't have to score more this year than he did last year for me to be thrilled to take him as a trophy, he has been a trophy in my mind for three years, regardless of score, he is only now going to be at an age that I can take pride in hunting him.

Comment

I guess as the DD guys say, I guess it's who feeds the DD 365 this year.

Good luck fellas, fantastic deer! Cudos to you passing that deer at 6.5. A year goes a long ways

Comment

I won't pretend to not care who shoots the deer, or if he will score more than last year that is natural. That said there is tremendous satisfaction in knowing that I didn't act out of fear last year and kill him before he had a chance to reach his potential. In essence the fact that it survived the season and is in the equation this year I can tell you the decision has paid off for me already and no matter who kills the deer I would do the same again. I haven't always been that way but that is where I am at as a hunter. I am a little different in that I am absolutely a trophy hunter but that deer doesn't have to score more this year than he did last year for me to be thrilled to take him as a trophy, he has been a trophy in my mind for three years, regardless of score, he is only now going to be at an age that I can take pride in hunting him.

Pretty cool that you are cool with it. I've been in your shoes and another guy killed a 184" I had been hunting and passed multiple times the year before. You are in a good place and regardless if you kill this deer or not you will get the trophy you are after. Good luck in finishing the deal if it the opportunity presents itself.

Comment

Cool story

Comment

Curious on how far he has traveled from home range?

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                        Curious on how far he has traveled from home range?

Nothing crazy just a couple miles but what is worth noting is that he did this more or less at random. He certainly could have done it in years past and just not been on camera, reinforces why we live love fence hunting, you absolutely never know.

Comment

I got him yesterday evening with a rifle, we are MLD 3, regardless the gamble paid off, he is north of 200". Will post pics later this evening.

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                          Pretty cool that you are cool with it. I've been in your shoes and another guy killed a 184" I had been hunting and passed multiple times the year before. You are in a good place and regardless if you kill this deer or not you will get the trophy you are after. Good luck in finishing the deal if it the opportunity presents itself.

Comment

Awesome Deer!

Comment

I got him yesterday evening with a rifle, we are MLD 3, regardless the gamble paid off, he is north of 200". Will post pics later this evening.
                              Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                                Congrats
                                x2

Comment

Working...
                                X