Hanging Deer Feeder East Texas???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging Deer Feeder East Texas???

guys looking for designs for hanging a 55 gallon drum up HIGH in a tree. This is for east texas timber company land so nothing can be nailed screwed to trees etc... basically we can't hurt the trees.... any one have any ingenius ideas on how to make this happen???

morning bump

Comment

no one has any ideas huh???

Comment

Can you put a ratchet strap or two around the tree?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
          Can you put a ratchet strap or two around the tree?
          absolutely... im thinking some kind of A-frame 20'up with a hand winch strapped to a 4x4 down low just need to put it on paper

Comment

We used cantilevers ( like an a frame ) strapped to the tree. Just high enough so deer can't stand on hind legs and reach.

Comment

Just build something similar to portable skinning rack that goes into a reciever hitch without the bottom piece. Some 2" square tubing, a couple pulleys and a good winch. Use some good heavy duty ratchet straps.

Comment

POV
                Sink 2 4x4 post little wider than barrel place either bar or 2x2 cross top to suspend or put pulley along top to hoist up. This way up can put out from tree in open shooting lane???

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I used a receiver type of hoist placed it up in a tree with the winch about chest high. That put the feeder about 10’ off the ground and it worked great. Used two tie down straps to attach it to the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                    Just build something similar to portable skinning rack that goes into a reciever hitch without the bottom piece. Some 2" square tubing, a couple pulleys and a good winch. Use some good heavy duty ratchet straps.
                    If you're not going to use a tripod feeder this is the method I would use. Heavy duty equipment. With a 55 gal drum full of corn that's roughly 300 pounds hanging in the air above your head. Also think about using a Spintech feeder or one that closes after it slings the corn. If you use a traditional feeder corn will fall out from wind blowing the trees to varmits. Google hanging deer feeder hoist and the options are endless. If that does not help, there is always pintrest.
                    Last edited by Duckhead78; 01-06-2019, 05:00 AM.

Comment

I have one that is hung on a chain that stretches between two trees and runs down to a pulley that is strapped and sandwiched around the tree. No screws and works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                        This pretty much what i did, made a L out of some square tubing and braced it at an angle and put a pulley on the vertical run right below the bracing and one at the end of the L. I would recommend another pully at the barrel and go back up to the bracket because that sucker is a pain to crank back up. Then i just ratchet straped it in three places.

Comment

Look at ebay for deer feeder hanger, they have a bracket that uses a chain around the tree and back to itself. Looks like a pretty good idea and they also have a bracket to hook a winch to a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas View Post
                            absolutely... im thinking some kind of A-frame 20'up with a hand winch strapped to a 4x4 down low just need to put it on paper
                            This is what I did. Used a climbing stick to put it up there. Secured with a couple of straps and then reinforced with a steel cable. A-frame about 4’ long with pulley on the end. Boat winch attached to tree at bottom. Works great. Deer never looking at it. Feed right under it all the time.

Comment

All good ideas above. Waiting for the pics now

Comment

Working...
                              X