99-f250-7.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99-f250-7.3

So I’m not a Ford guy but I could not pass up the deal , my Captain sold me this truck he has owned it since it was a year old. I knew it had problems and figure I can fix most of them myself and for the price of $1000 cash money it’s now mine. So this thing is the definition of a pavement pounder it might have backed over a flowerbed or two in its time. The first thing was to pull out all the aftermarket wiring and crap , it took 2 days to do this. It had LED lights all over and under and on top , TVs , amps , speakers , train horns , compressors, air tanks , CB , inverters , wig-wag lights , extra batteries , and much more electronic stuff. I traced every wire then cut it all out. The air filter was so clogged up you couldn’t see through it with a flashlight , fuel filter was jet black. Had 3 new tires and one that was totally gone so had to buy a tire. So now picking thins out to work on now. So anyone with Ford 7.3 advice please give it I’ll post everything I’ve done so far and what I still need to do..

1999-F250-7.3
    Automatic 4x4
    Lift-37in tires
    290000mi
    Runs fine (now)
    No rust or dents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh it ain’t got any door handles , had the pop open doors and only one worked so I pulled all that crap out also. Here is the 2 piles of wire ( separate piles one from each day ).

Comment

Comment

The bed "mounted" batteries are horrifying.

I'd say that's a win at $1000

Comment

Originally posted by SAM STEPHENS View Post
            I traced every wire then cut it all out.
            It looks like it had too many wire anyway. Surely it doesn't need all those wires. I would've cut them out, too, to make the truck run more efficiently.

:-)

Comment

So the 4x4 wasn’t working so I took the pretty center caps off and the hubs will lock if you manually lock them so the 4x4 works fine you just have to get out and lock the hubs in.I’m ok with that from what I found the auto hubs are vacuum operated so can get seal kits to fix them later. I opened both diffs and inspected no rust but had some water in the front and thick crap in the bottom in the rear. Cleaned out and new seals and oil , drained and filled the transfer case also. Changing the oil and doing a pan drop and filter on the transmission. The shifter has some slop in it like you have to go past the D in drive and past the 2 for second gear , and it will not go into first at all ( Runs and shifts fine while in drive
              ( overdrive ). Hopefully it’s a linkage issue...

Also the a/c is cold as hell only problem is it blows cold no matter where you turn the heat knob. The knob works on the function part switches fine to vent , floor , defrost , the problem is it’s all cold no heat ????? No matter if you have it on coldest or hottest it’s all cold..

Comment

It was a driving fire hazard , has the 2 regular batteries under the hood the 2 in the bed were for extra power to run all the stuff...

Comment

Comment

I got nothing to add, but any idea why there is a chain hanging from the back axle?

Look forward to the build.

Comment

You stole that thing Sam.

Comment

So with what I’ve done so far a good cleaning some seat covers and floor mats and a steering wheel cover. The paint on the roof and hood top of the doors was in rough shape so I sanded all the bad stuff off and put on some DIY bed liner and put new side mirrors on and improved the look of it.

Comment

After

Comment

The chain was I guess for looks ??? This was as far as I’ve got on it as of now , got some new F250 badges ordered. Need to figure out the A/C thing pretty quickly ( a defroster is a good thing to have )....

Actually drives pretty nice drive it from Georgetown to Houston last night , motor is strong....

Comment

Coming along!

Comment

Working...
                              X