No announcement yet.

I give up (pigs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to check cameras this afternoon, while walking to my last camera (closest to the house) I spotted a baby pig about 25 yards away thru some brush (probably weighed around 60 pounds). I listened and didn't hear anything else so I raised my AR and was about to shoot when I heard a stick snap thru some brush about 15 yards to my right, where I had just came from. I couldn't see what it was but after a couple seconds it started snorting and I took off, after about 30 yards I looked behind me to see a huge pig barely "jogging" behind me still snorting and I turned and never looked back. I guess he was just warning me or I ran like Usain Bolt, but that was the worst feeling I've ever had in the woods.

If you are wondering why I didn't shoot, I didn't think I'd be able to take it down with one shot from the .223 AR and didn't think I'd have enough time to get off enough shots to kill it. I've seen alot of hogs and shot quite a few, always heard how mean they are, but this is the first time I've ever been chased by one.

I've spent all afternoon looking at pig traps lol. I had a pic of him on one of my other cameras and I'll try to upload later.

Comment

Here he is
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NewBallCoach View Post
        Went to check cameras this afternoon, while walking to my last camera (closest to the house) I spotted a baby pig about 25 yards away thru some brush (probably weighed around 60 pounds). I listened and didn't hear anything else so I raised my AR and was about to shoot when I heard a stick snap thru some brush about 15 yards to my right, where I had just came from. I couldn't see what it was but after a couple seconds it started snorting and I took off, after about 30 yards I looked behind me to see a huge pig barely "jogging" behind me still snorting and I turned and never looked back. I guess he was just warning me or I ran like Usain Bolt, but that was the worst feeling I've ever had in the woods.

If you are wondering why I didn't shoot, I didn't think I'd be able to take it down with one shot from the .223 AR and didn't think I'd have enough time to get off enough shots to kill it. I've seen alot of hogs and shot quite a few, always heard how mean they are, but this is the first time I've ever been chased by one.

I've spent all afternoon looking at pig traps lol. I had a pic of him on one of my other cameras and I'll try to upload later.
        Brother, don't run from hogs... You're more likely to trip and hurt yourself than to ever have an encounter with a pig. We've dealt with some monster brave boars and never had an issue, bites are extremely rare. I would have pumped him with a full mag of that .223 around the head and neck area just for having the audacity to growl at me.

Comment

We were getting 40 plus hogs at each feeder every time they went off. We setup two traps at the feeders and have killed 13 hogs in two weeks. Now they are starting to shy away. Have some huge deer coming in now!

Comment

Newball, I had an experience a few weeks ago where I thought a whole sounder was gonna come at me. I couldn't see them through the gunch. One pig popped out and right back in. I didn't shoot having only 3 shells in the shotgun and thinking I might need them for something bigger. It makes you think, especially when in a place where nobody is gonna come by anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
              Get out of east Texas.

Great advice. Hogs can only be found in East Texas.

Comment

I like the tannerite idea

Comment

I would think its illegal to bomb them. Lol

Comment

More than enough videos of Tenerite hunting on YouTube. Apparently pigs can fly!

Comment

AK !!!

Comment

So at least I added a weapon to my arsenal. With the Covert cam I can get a real time pic and know if the hogs are already at my feeder before I drive up and scare them off. Found too many times when they had been there 2 minutes before I sat down in the blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Grady_jones View Post
                          man I wish I had some pigs on my lease
                          Me 2

Comment

Working...
                          X