95 Dime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 Dime

Well this DYI has nothing to do with bow hunting. But it is a bow hunter doing it .

For 5 years now i have owned this little 95 S10 truck. I purchased it for $300.00 running, but it would over heat. I have been slowly working at the truck since i got it.
    Here is he truck when i purchased it. I have always liked the lowered mini trucks and i have had a couple when i was younger, but not the money to do it the way i dreamed.
    Now i am allot older and have plenty of time and room. Im going to see this one through the way i have dreamed. Just thought i would share the journey with my Bow hunting Brothers and sisters.

First thing i did was run out and get the rims that i wanted on this truck before they quit making them. They sat in my garage for almost 5 years.

In the meantime i was tearing down the engine after i determined it had a cracked head.

Yup it is cracked.

I went and purchased a new head at the dealership after tearing down 5 to 6 engines in a scrap yards. All was cracked, so i gave up and payed for a new one.

Comment

I forgot to document installation of the new head, also i purchased a 3/4 drop kit for the truck and did not document that work either.
      Before the Drop

After the drop

Shortly after this it was running good, with a new head. I put it up in the side yard for a while.
      More like 6 months maybe little more. The battery went dead, I got a new battery in it and it would not start. The fuel pump went out. So it sat some more making it 1 year.
      Then i got motivated and took the bed off to get at the fuel tank.

Seen some oil on the bed and knew where it came from.

The rearend front seal was slinging it out. But also the truck had a vibration at 50 MPH in the rear indicating the pinion bearing was shot.

Pulled the tank out and it was confirmed the fuel pump was indeed trashed.

Comment

Looking good there

Comment

Ended up finding a good complete tank in a scrap yard for $175.00
          Fuel pump is good and tank is clean inside.

Tank installed and it started right up!

Next was to get tires and install the rims.

After that it was lunch time .

Comment

Couple days later i went to mess with the interior. Thats when i noticed some wet carpet?
            Ripped out the seats and pulled up some carpet. The S10 seats just will not do.

Look at that! It is making some rust there too! Leaking from up under the dash somewhere.

Little artificial rain

And now i see the leak!
            Looks like it is coming from above where the harness comes in the cab.

Go ahead a rip out all the carpet. There is surface rust under there in spots that needs work.

This little flap is causing leaves and trash to build up and rot out the blower box.

After i found this, i had to get some rust preventive and it was time to get another rearend.

Comment

Well when i went to pick up my rearend, I decided to go with one out of a 2001 S10 Blazer.
              This rearend is disc brakes. So now the truck will be 4 wheel disc brakes.
              Also picked up a replacement fender since the one on the truck has too much of a crease and i do not want bondo or dynalite on this truck.
              The S10 seats are ugly and i found some buckets out of a 2001 caviler! Those are nice

Bed is off the truck now getting ready to install the rearend. A friend of mine helped me out along with his son.

Bolting up the disc break rear .

There it is, all in and nice!

Removed the bad fender

Replaced fender.

Yeah those seats will work

Comment

Now that im all caught up, Today here is what i got done.
                Removed both fenders and hood to get at the run off ports under the fenders.
                This is where the leaves and garbage get hung up and rots out then leaks to floorboard.

Cleaning up the blower box, grinding out all the old caulking to reseal and zinc coat it.

When i went to the port on the outside i wire wheeled it and found my hole!

This is how it starts, this rubber flap holds trash until it cant flow good sitting there keeping moisture in the box.

Cleaned it up and removed that crappy flap.

Cleaned up and resealed blower box and other port.
                If i would have had a mig {im purchasing one later} i would have welded this hole up.
                But i dont have one, so i cleaned it up, zinc coated it and sealed it up and coated again.

I cleaned up the main part of the floor that had the most surface rust and zinc coated it.

Thats all for today, i will post more as i go along. Next is to clean up the rest of the floor and zinc it.

Comment

Looking good. That flap isn't a necessary part? It serves no function?

Like those rims...very sharp. And the seats are a definite improvement.

Comment

Very cool build. Love all the pics, keep us posted!

Comment

Thats gonna be one saweet lil red wagon when you finsh

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Originally posted by daveally View Post
                          Looking good. That flap isn't a necessary part? It serves no function?

Like those rims...very sharp. And the seats are a definite improvement.
                          Not that i can tell, There is no purpose as far as i can tell.
                          The blower does not even blow into the box. There is a box that seals in front of the blower and is directed into the cab from there.

So i guess it's only purpose could be is to keep water from coming back up into the port from the wheel. But it would have to get paste a foam plate on the fender first. All this area is for is rain run off from the hood cowl.

Thanks every for the comments.
                          Those rims are now discontinued. MB Vapor 18" wrapped with 225 40 Nexen tires

Comment

Well today i set out to finish wire wheeling the surface rust on the floor.

Then i found a crack by one of the seat studs. So i called upon my buddies son. He is into the minitruck scene as well.
                            I asked if he could bring the mig so we can weld this up.

I painted the spots i cleaned up until my God son showed up.

Then the games began. I have never used a mig before, so here was my chance lol.
                            After welding it up and grinding it down then welding one more pass and grinding it down again. I would say i didnt do to bad for my first attempt on sheet metal with an unfamiliar welder.

Now the whole floor is clear of rust and coated.

I also am preparing to do a color change to the interior to match the seats.
                            Doesnt look to bad for a first time of doing this either. This was painted with Dupli Color, the paint is made for vinyl and plastic parts. About $8.00 a can and you have to follow the directions or you will not be happy.
                            I surprised myself with this piece.

And here is a couple shots of My truck along with my God sons truck. He did the work to his truck himself. 18 Yr Old.

Last edited by tx07; 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Looking great! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                              X