Hereditary genetics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hereditary genetics?

which genes in antlers are more hereditary or superior then the others? brows, mass, etc? My family has had a place for two years now and was wandering if i should change up the management game. i wont kill spikes so lets not get into that please lol. ive just been doing 8 points or less at 4.5 and we take our trophies at 5.5 or older (havent killed any yet). ill post a bunch of pics and yall tell me what yall might change.
    Last edited by BIG BONE; 12-10-2013, 01:11 PM.

here are some pics
    Last edited by BIG BONE; 12-11-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

more
      Last edited by BIG BONE; 12-11-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Interesting question. I will be interested to see some of the answers. Y'all have some good looking deer. I would say that if your numbers are right(i.e. caring capacity) start picking traits that you favor. No eights, thin mass, short tines, whatever the verdict just start cultivating what you like. Keep up the good work, looks like you have a great start. Good luck!

Comment

thank you, besides the 2 or 3 nice ones, the tine lenght is my biggest downside on these deer.

Comment

I think for management purposes, the only one I'd whack is the second to last picture. great looking deer.

Comment

more
              Last edited by BIG BONE; 12-11-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                I think for management purposes, the only one I'd whack is the second to last picture. great looking deer.
                he got whacked by the nieghbor. that pic was 2012
                his new pic was the 4 th pic far right. not much jump besides brows and mass. he was a war horse

Comment

great bucks there!

Comment

Good looking deer, I dont have a specific answer for you but I think the little bit of your plan that you discussed is on the right track. The key to getting big deer is proper nutrition and age. When you see deer that have undesireable characteristics by 3.5-4.5 you need to get rid of them (no brows, fork horns, too narrow, short tine length etc). I think you would like having "different looking" deer. You dont want all of them to be main frame 10's or 12's and all the deer on the ranch looking the same. You want diversity, but quality diversity. Provide a good diet and let them grow and age. Being 2 years into it, yall should start seeing some pretty good deer pretty soon. It takes time, patience and a lot of work.

Comment

Very good looking deer... I believe in u taking eights and less at 4.5 yrs of age. Spikes, I am a firm believer in maturing a bit. Looks as if ur doing a heck of a job in managing. Just know if u need help with taking trash off ur property I have bow that loves to travel. Good job & God bless.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                        Good looking deer, I dont have a specific answer for you but I think the little bit of your plan that you discussed is on the right track. The key to getting big deer is proper nutrition and age. When you see deer that have undesireable characteristics by 3.5-4.5 you need to get rid of them (no brows, fork horns, too narrow, short tine length etc). I think you would like having "different looking" deer. You dont want all of them to be main frame 10's or 12's and all the deer on the ranch looking the same. You want diversity, but quality diversity. Provide a good diet and let them grow and age. Being 2 years into it, yall should start seeing some pretty good deer pretty soon. It takes time, patience and a lot of work.
                        Thanks, we are feeding corn , food plots and protein year round with water with a few other supplements.
                        It will be interesting to see how the herd progresses in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fregia22 View Post
                          Very good looking deer... I believe in u taking eights and less at 4.5 yrs of age. Spikes, I am a firm believer in maturing a bit. Looks as if ur doing a heck of a job in managing. Just know if u need help with taking trash off ur property I have bow that loves to travel. Good job & God bless.
                          Thank u, I'll keep that in mind

Comment

just from looking at your pics I think you are doing just fine just as you are - Genetics look strong in my opinion

Comment

I think if they are 3.5 with less that 8 pts. Wack.

4.5 with 8 pts or less... wack. Unless it is an 8 that you like that has trophy 8 potential.

Now with that said I do think you need to start somewhere and let the bucks that you think have potential breed.

Also from what I was taught brow tines are one of the most passed genetics.

Comment

Working...
                              X