Anyone hunt Unit 31?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hunt Unit 31?

am getting back to the grasslands after hunting leases for a few years and this area looks appealing to me cause of the creeks and looks like there should be plenty of water<PLENTY EVERYWHERE I imagine> Close to a camping area and the BIG question..are there ANY trees worthy of using a climbing stand ?

Hey longstick,
    it is hard to find a good straight tree for a climbing stand, but you can if you go deep into the woods along one of the creeks. You will also find that unit 31 is pretty popular to hunt, I'm afraid. After a couple of weekends the deer seem to go nocturnal pretty quick. If you don't get lucky during bow season, forget it during the open season. Shotgunners and muzzle loaders everywhere, stomping through your carefully planned spot during the critical morning hours that you thought you'd see your deer you scouted in the off-season. I guess I sound frustrated, but I know people have indeed scored out there, just not me. I got my deer on private property last year thanks to a friend my wife works with. Unit 31 is beautiful, and it is fun to camp and meet other bowhunters. Best of luck.

Comment

the more remote the better chances you have. what HSU said!!

Comment

was told you could camp anywhere...not necessarily in a camping area ...true??? Just not over 3 days. I dont own any kind of guns exceptin a pistol or two and a bird gun

Comment

I can't place unit 31 and right now I'm too lazy to walk out to the truck to look at my map! Is that where Cottonwood Lake is and all the 900 FS roads are....!
          If it is you can camp anywhere but you can't drive just anywhere. And the length of camping 'in one spot' is restricted to 2 weeks, not 3 days.
          If that is the big unit around Cottonwood it is heavily hunted but like anywhere thru there you just have to scout, scout and more scout and there are parts of it that you can still do well in even during gun season but you have to get there early, stay late, and walk A LONG WAY to hit those far corners that most people don't bother with!

Comment

sounds like some real good advice Pat, am looking at the Hennesy Hammock which I ran across in a thread in Trad Talk...get out to the far cornors and STAY
            Last edited by Longstick; 07-04-2007, 10:08 AM. Reason: cant spell today

Comment

Anybody heard if the antler restrictions "spread" to Wise county this year?

Comment

Pat..it is where ya thinking,and maybe froggy will see this and enlighten us on the antler restrictions

Comment

I'm sure the antler restrictions will be well publisized if they are going to be instituted in other new counties.
                  I'll just wait to see where when I buy my new hunting license on August 1st! (or whenever they begin to be sold!)

Comment

antler restrictions are not in wise county. yet...

Comment

I believe licenses always are ready on the 15th of August. Somebody please correct me if this is wrong. As far as LBJ, unit 31 is always crowded, no matter what season. Good luck and shoot straight.

Comment

Looks like 31's a BAD choice, found a nice draw on google earth looks like but guess I better leave it

Comment

Nice diversion tactic. I like it!

Comment

But then again a lot of hunting pressure makes the deer move to your area if you can find one with little traffic. I am with Pat on this, walk walk walk and then walk some more to get back in them little corners where no one likes to walk to. I have a couple of corners I like walking to that are away from everyone, but if they come my way, I slip back deep in the woods where it gets so thick they do not come in. I have a couple of places this year, if the creeks are dry, that I am going to try out that are off the beaten path and are very thick. I will try it out for bow season first and see what I see and then back with my black powder. Yes I am one of those that uses a gun to hunt with as I am not that good with my bow as of yet. (missed 3 doe at an average of 12 yards). Last season I missed 2 nice bucks as my powder pellets got moist and all they got was a face full of smoke. This year I use granulated powder as it seems to keep dryer and fires better. ( will pack my black powder .44 cal pistol for back up) It is still over 2 months away and I am excited, may not hunt that much this year as I did last season but every hour in the woods is well worth it.

Comment

If i remember correctly a 150 class deer was taken out of unit 31 as told by a forest worker...SO i wouldnt stray too far from 31...Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X