New Toy (work in progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Toy (work in progress)

This is a 21" Hoyt Excel ILF riser with the same TradTech limbs on it, that I had on my Martin ILF warf.

It makes a 64" bow.
    I was expecting the draw weight to be about 65# at my draw, but it came in a little low at 62#. Being a little light was actually a plus, since I had take it down to 56#, and shoot it with the arrows set at 1/8" outside of center to compensate for how weak in spine they were shooting.

Shoots darn good though.

With the same arrows I was shooting out of the Martin warf at 60#, and the BW PMA at 68 pounds, I had to drop the draw weight down to 56# to get them to straighten up. Bare shaft were shooting way weak, and 2ft to the right at 10 yards.

The thumbnails implants on the picture show my shelf configuration.

Still have a few things to do with it before I'm finished, but I am VERY impressed with this rig. Don't much like the grip, because it is to small, but other than that it's great.

Rick
    Attached Files

Rick, I've never seen one of these bow in real life. Only pictures. I know nothing about them. They have adjustable poundage?
    Last edited by Graybow; 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Sweet looking bow. Have you thought about putting a leather grip on it to increase the grip size?

Comment

I'll be out your way twice this year for the ASA stuff. Due to the weight, I'll watch you shoot it.

Comment

Space-age for sure!

Nice looking rig you got there, Rick!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Graybow View Post
            Rick, I've never seen one of these bow in real life. Only pictures. I know nothing about them. They have adjustable poundage?
            Yes they do. This one will adjust 6 lbs. I think average is about 5.

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
            Sweet looking bow. Have you thought about putting a leather grip on it to increase the grip size?
            Hey Ben, a leather wrap wouldn't increase it as much as I would like for it to be. I can get a wood grip to fit this riser that is quite a bit larger than this one, so I figure that is what I am going to do. Wood grip will look way better than this plastic grip also.

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
            I'll be out your way twice this year for the ASA stuff. Due to the weight, I'll watch you shoot it.
            Todd, I hope to get back where I can go to the shoots, at least the ones in Abilene, so I'll be looking forward to seeing you at them. I have the bow backed off to 56#, so it's no biggy to shoot it, and you are welcome to.

Rick

Comment

Thats just pretty neet. Would like to shoot one sometime.

Comment

Good looking rig Rick, I've been contemplating trying out an ILF bow lately and the Excel is at the top of my list!

Comment

Nice configuration Rick. Heard some good stuff about the Excel riser....especially the 21".

Comment

Thanks again guys.

So far I am really impressed with this riser. I had heard some good things, and some bad things about them, but now I have one in hand I don't think you're gonna do much better, and this is one of the least expensive ones there are.

Last night late, I started on the cosmetic work I mentioned.

Taking a little break this morning, so I thought I would post some pictures of what I am doing, and get some opinions.

I still have some prep to do before putting the finish on it, but I'm torn on whether or not to keep it or scrap it.

I really like the snake pattern on the back of the riser, but even though I did the best job I could getting it trimmed & fit, I'm just not sure if it is good enough.

I'm gonna let Y'all be the judge on whether to continue with it, or not.

Keep in mind, it has no finish, and the finish when applied will be a clear satin poly.

Rick

Comment

That oughta kill the shine.

Comment

I like it. Nice looking bow.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Nice Rick

Comment

Well, I think I'm done with it now.
                              Just need to tweak the tune a bit more.

Wound up going back up to 62# @ 29".

Brace height - 8.75"

Tiller - "0" even

Same arrows - 7595 GT 7rads, 30.25" to BOP, 615gr total weight.

Best of three 25 yard groups at lunch time today.
                              I'm getting there.

Rick
                              Last edited by RickBarbee; 01-25-2013, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X