Duel axle trailer springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duel axle trailer springs

I recently bought a used two-horse trailer. When I was messing around with it yesterday I noticed the spring look different than my other stock trailer. Is this center piece between the springs correct or should they both be on top or both on bottom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
    I recently bought a used two-horse trailer. When I was messing around with it yesterday I noticed the spring look different than my other stock trailer. Is this center piece between the springs correct or should they both be on top or both on bottom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Messed up needs fixing
    My friends are saying its from the force of the trailer brakes? Its a triple axle and all the shackles stay tilted like this even after driving down flat roads. The shackle will bottom out on the frame while going down driveways. Seems wrong. I tried making it straight with a jack but it bounces ri...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-18-2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Looks good to me assuming it's a slipper spring setup.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
        Is it a slip spring setup?

Comment

Is it a slip spring setup?
          I am probably in the wrong,
          I went out to the trailer marshaling yard and every trailer has the
          Springs connecting to a metal wishbone/ 3 point bracket
          With two points connected to front and rear springs 3rd is connected to bracket on the trailer frame same as front springs and rear
          Looks completely different from yours
          Attached Files
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-18-2020, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I do not think that's correct. Both shackles should be on the top side of the equalizer. If the equalizer bolts are on 8" center, they are discontinued. I'd raise it up and get the backside flipped back correct and run it. I am guessing it got hyperextended going through fields, ditchs etc. If in our shop, I would have it flipped with shackles on top of the equalizers before it left, I dont see any logical reason it would be made to run like it is in your picture.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by brushtrooper; 10-18-2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

How do I go about fixing this? Do I just jack it up, remove the tires, and then just take it apart and put it back together right? I want to make sure the springs don't get me.

Comment

I would jack it up, and block up the frame first. Then use the jack to control the axle elevation as needed to pull the bolts and re-adjust the equalizer.

Comment

How do I go about fixing this? Do I just jack it up, remove the tires, and then just take it apart and put it back together right? I want to make sure the springs don't get me.
                  I would jack up that side, pull the tires off. Take a long 2x4x8' or similar, put under the rear spring and lift up, it should pop back over. I would try that before trying to break those rusty bolts. If you have to take them apart, the springs are not under tension. It should be relatively easy to fix, unbolt, flip and bolt back up.
                  Last edited by brushtrooper; 10-19-2020, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I’ve had this happen to me before from using it around the lease. What I did was backed it up over a curb and it rotated back into place. You may have to hit the curb at a speed higher than an idle.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post

It’s not

Comment

Your going to have to get that rear tire at full compression up and then use a bottle jack and press back of front spring u til the hanger flips back over

Comment

It is like that on both sides

Comment

Then do same on both sides

Comment

Ditto on doing both sides.

Comment

Working...