Adapting a standard pop-up for a longbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adapting a standard pop-up for a longbow

I've got an older DB T5 that has been gathering dust since I started shooting a longbow - it is just too short. I think it only needs to be raised about 6" so I'm considering a couple of options.

1) Use a 18" piece of rebar for the stakes and attach the blind 6" up off the ground. I would then use a piece of carpet for a floor - big enough to go up the sides and cover the gap from the inside.

2) Build a frame out of 2x8's in the shape of the blind's footprint and attach the blind to it.

(I thought about digging a hole to sit in but the ground is quite rocky)

Have either of these methods worked for you? Will raising it 6" make the windows too high for close shots? Any other ideas?

Jerp, I cut some cedar and used the trucks lying on the ground to raise mine. When I trimmed the foliage from the side facing down, and left the rest to brush it in.
    This gave me room to shoot, but then my windows were almost to high. It works but it's tight. Does this make since?

Comment

I hung mine up by the top hub to the mesquite I set it under. Brushed in the gap good and am ready to go.

Comment

Dig a hole... place on top of hole. Just kidding, there are some really good ideas above.

Comment

Good ideas above, but I had problems with the windows being too high.

Comment

Big gap on bottom = big snakes, I'm chicken!

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
              Good ideas above, but I had problems with the windows being too high.
              That's what I'm worried about. I think the DB windows start 31" from the ground so raising them 6" would put them at 37". If I sit high enough to have a clear shot at 10-15 yards, I'm back to bumping the top limb on the ceiling.
              Maybe I'll try cutting the window lower and having it trimmed so the material doesn't unravel. In the spot where I'm planning on using it I only have one shooting lane so I'd only have to modify one window. This old blind is pretty beat up so I don't mind experimenting. If all else fails I guess I'll have to cough up the $$ for a taller, trad-model blind.

Comment

Have you actually tried shooting out of it yet? With about a 2 o'clock cant I can clear a 62" longbow with room to spare out of a T5. If I tried to shoot with the bow straight up and down I may have an issue. Granted I'm a bit shorter than you I believe. That may make a difference I guess.

I bought the recurve model, but after setting it up the county wanted to start charging me taxes on it as a new single family dwelling. That thing was huge! I sold it.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                X