String Jumpin Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Jumpin Deer

Especially does. I've hunted all regions of the state. And am an East Texas Native. Anyone other than me ever notice how freakin fast those smaller Hill Country Does are at jumpin the string even when they are relaxed and flickin tbeir tails? I've noticed it since 1999. Those little boogers are quicker than a hiccup. A lot over the last several years have accused me of being a speed demon because I shoot a fast rig when hunting the hill country. And yes I've shot ultra heavy and quiet there before it's asked. Truth is my heart lies at about 550/600 grains. Just over the years I kept tweaking especially for those hill country does. And after all those years 290 us stopped the high lung hits. I've noticed in East Texas I can get away with about 265-270 and have good results on those bigger does. Those monster does in the Midwest it seems 220 is plenty. I see all kinds of arguments on speed. I've just learned to stay out of the stupid arguments and go region specific with what works.

And before the trad bow talk starts. I shoot those too. There is a huuuuge diff in tbe soft thud a trad bow makes vs that sharp pop even a slow compound bow makes.

I think it is a pressure thing.
    We had a place at Mason years ago, the deer never flinched until the arrow smacked them.
    I have a place here in East Texas that borders some public ground and 80% of the time you will not even get to full draw much less turn loose of the arrow.
    I hunted a Company lease in Llano years ago that was pretty much hunted every day.
    I shot at a doe that was completly gone before the arrow got there.

Check out this buck at the 1:45 mark.
    He was on a Eat Texas place that gets hunted pretty hard.
    It is stop framed to show him dropping at the shot.

Comment

always hearing about how quick the african stuff is. they got nuthin on a hill country doe.

Comment

The farthest doe I've killed was at 36 yds. and was a perfect heart shot with an older round wheel compound. The strange part was I hit her in the opposite side than I was aiming at. She was able to turn all the way around before the arrow got there.

I much prefer a walking shot as they just don't seem to duck while walking.

Comment

They're very quick. These deer in Leakey are equipped with ninja dna.

Comment

My bow runs 245 and I have no problem in East Texas or the hill country...

Comment

Axis....those things are ninja fast. Haven't gotten one with the bow yet.

Comment

When you hunt in the hill country are you elevated or on the ground? I ask because I grew up around Mason and if I am on the ground I have noticed the same thing. When I get in my tree stands it's not a problem. Never has made a whole lot of sense but it's what I have learned over the years.

Comment

It really depends on the individual animal. Some I have shot that never knew what happened and others come unglued. I would say the jumpy deer outweigh the calm ones by a wide margin out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                    I think it is a pressure thing.
                    We had a place at Mason years ago, the deer never flinched until the arrow smacked them.
                    I have a place here in East Texas that borders some public ground and 80% of the time you will not even get to full draw much less turn loose of the arrow.
                    I hunted a Company lease in Llano years ago that was pretty much hunted every day.
                    I shot at a doe that was completly gone before the arrow got there.

Check out this buck at the 1:45 mark.
                    He was on a Eat Texas place that gets hunted pretty hard.
                    It is stop framed to show him dropping at the shot.

http://www.buffsblackwidow.com/videos/2009reviewbam.wmv
                    Marty this particular place was super Unpressured. Where me and Oscar hunted for so many years v

Originally posted by Gwasshoppa View Post
                    When you hunt in the hill country are you elevated or on the ground? I ask because I grew up around Mason and if I am on the ground I have noticed the same thing. When I get in my tree stands it's not a problem. Never has made a whole lot of sense but it's what I have learned over the years.
                    Both.

Originally posted by Bonesplitter View Post
                    It really depends on the individual animal. Some I have shot that never knew what happened and others come unglued. I would say the jumpy deer outweigh the calm ones by a wide margin out there.

I'm going off of Unpressured HC does on one place in the HC over a decade or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                      Especially does. I've hunted all regions of the state. And am an East Texas Native. Anyone other than me ever notice how freakin fast those smaller Hill Country Does are at jumpin the string even when they are relaxed and flickin tbeir tails? I've noticed it since 1999. Those little boogers are quicker than a hiccup. A lot over the last several years have accused me of being a speed demon because I shoot a fast rig when hunting the hill country. And yes I've shot ultra heavy and quiet there before it's asked. Truth is my heart lies at about 550/600 grains. Just over the years I kept tweaking especially for those hill country does. And after all those years 290 us stopped the high lung hits. I've noticed in East Texas I can get away with about 265-270 and have good results on those bigger does. Those monster does in the Midwest it seems 220 is plenty. I see all kinds of arguments on speed. I've just learned to stay out of the stupid arguments and go region specific with what works.

And before the trad bow talk starts. I shoot those too. There is a huuuuge diff in tbe soft thud a trad bow makes vs that sharp pop even a slow compound bow makes.
                      I've hunted all the same areas and regions for a lot of years and I have to agree with your assessment. I think your spot on.

Comment

It's amazing what deer can do. Even with a fast bow. The speed in which they move is unreal. After I miss one I'm still in awe an laugh.

Comment

It's probably your bow...too loud. My Mathews is whisper quiet. They never knew what hit them.

Ha...I bet that gets the blood boiling. Just messin about the Mathews thing. Although I do think silence kills. I remember the first doe that I killed. She had an easy blood trail to follow even though I couldn't find my arrow. When I finally caught up to her I could see my lighted knock sticking upward. Just didn't look right. I was up 17ft and shooting downward and she flinched. So even though I aimed at her chest, she ducked,dipped and turned and I ended up hitting her in the neck.

It's amazing how quick their reflexes are.

Comment

Its because youre a girl and shoot sissy bows!!

Comment

I think I'm about to get a sissy Fusion 6 I'll get the best of both worlds heavy arrow and still have good fps. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X