Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered Livestock to qualify Ag Exempt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Timber? I think too small?
    Nope. Check with county because mixed hardwoods can be cheaper than all pine. You could stay wildlife, include timber in your plan, and have ability for fed deduction as well. Timber is a crop, just like soybeans or wheat, just takes a little longer to mature. I would guess most of the non corporate(normal Joes) planting I see around here are 10-100 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      Nope. Check with county because mixed hardwoods can be cheaper than all pine. You could stay wildlife, include timber in your plan, and have ability for fed deduction as well. Timber is a crop, just like soybeans or wheat, just takes a little longer to mature. I would guess most of the non corporate(normal Joes) planting I see around here are 10-100 acres.
      Ok. Ill...thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
        Hmm I have always wanted longhorns so that is probably what I would get to put on my property.
        Be my guest...your land, ur choice, Aggie/red raiders fan in this house!

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
          Be my guest...your land, ur choice, Aggie/red raiders fan in this house!
          What does longhorns have to do with you being an aggie/raider fan? Longhorns are a symbol of Texas as a state in my opinion, just like the lone star. I could care less for Texas, A&M, or TT. I just like my longhorn cows.

Comment

What does longhorns have to do with you being an aggie/raider fan? Longhorns are a symbol of Texas as a state in my opinion, just like the lone star. I could care less for Texas, A&M, or TT. I just like my longhorn cows.
            Just remember longhorns are a PITA to work with...normal cattle chutes etc. don't work.

Comment

Hahaha...was just yankin ur chain! Ofc, its a symbol of what Texas r all about and all that. I was being Silly given we hate longhorns and to have one on our prop wd be a double standard...

Comment

Just go buy you some ugly old wore out swamp cattle. You can turn them loose. If you loose some then write them off. I had an uncle that always had the ugliest, cheapest cattle you could buy. He always had a pocket full of money!

Comment

All ours is for hay. Its the easiest.

Comment

not your mother in law! HAHA!

Comment

I asked our county appraisal dist a couple years ago about Ag exemptions (for property tax purposes) and was told we didn't have enough. We have around 144 acres in far West TX. However the idea of doing a wildlife management never occured to me. I need to look into this. I assume this would help with property taxes too? Does anyone know if you can have the wildlife management exemption and still designate the land a bird preserve?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                        I asked our county appraisal dist a couple years ago about Ag exemptions (for property tax purposes) and was told we didn't have enough. We have around 144 acres in far West TX. However the idea of doing a wildlife management never occured to me. I need to look into this. I assume this would help with property taxes too? Does anyone know if you can have the wildlife management exemption and still designate the land a bird preserve?
                        Really? Wow...yes, Wildlife and Ag helps w prop tax. It should be same all over the State of TX. I may be wrong...

Your county and each county has different region and each region has a wildlife plan and you choose which one and if there is a bird preserve then include that in you wildlife plan along with other two more.

Mine is Nest Boxes for Woodducks, song birds, bats. Depredating, control hogs, yotes, coons, skunks,, foxes. Prescribed Burns to provide more healthy and abundnant forbs for wildlife. Whitetails management is out of ? For our prop. Too small.

Good luck...
                        Last edited by Silent Assassin; 04-19-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

And deadline for application is 5/1?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                            and deadline for application is 5/1?
                            4/30

Comment

Pound for pound goats and cattle will probably run you about the same but cattle would be a lot easier to run. You shouldn't have to rush to put cattle on your property. I wouldn't just make a quick decision without thinking.

I would wait for summer to buy cattle and hope the prices come down. I hope they stay up. I Sold some 325 pound calves last week for about $750 each.

I would by pairs so you can sell a calf right away this year. I good young set will run around $1500. There was a sale in San Saba this past week with some going for $2800. You get what you pay for but I would not be crazy and pay $2800. Dont rush into it. It would probably be less trouble to just lease the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear82 View Post
                                Pound for pound goats and cattle will probably run you about the same but cattle would be a lot easier to run. You shouldn't have to rush to put cattle on your property. I wouldn't just make a quick decision without thinking.

I would wait for summer to buy cattle and hope the prices come down. I hope they stay up. I Sold some 325 pound calves last week for about $750 each.

I would by pairs so you can sell a calf right away this year. I good young set will run around $1500. There was a sale in San Saba this past week with some going for $2800. You get what you pay for but I would not be crazy and pay $2800. Dont rush into it. It would probably be less trouble to just lease the place.
                                Duly noted. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                                X