BEWARE when selling anything with a license plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEWARE when selling anything with a license plate

I know a lot of folks know this BUT for those who don't.....make sure when selling anything with a license plate that you pull your plate before you let it go!! And don't forget you need a bill of sale!

I sold a trailer on TBH in June of 2016 to someone who will not answer my PM's. I am out hundreds of dollars paying toll fees that are not mine and I can't stop the bleeding because the person has not registered the trailer in their name. To tack on insult to injury, I did not get a bill of sale to prove it was sold and no longer mine. Yay me.......

I usually don't get on here with non sense but sure wish I would have thought better and maybe my ignorance can help someone else.....

now paging Burnadell.....

Comment

What happens if you don’t pay the tolls on his trailer ?
      Wouldn’t it cause him trouble when his tag expires and he has to register it ?

Comment

Ouch that sucks. So is the person that bought the trailer aware that you're getting billed?

Comment

IMO if they are doing that and not responding to PM's, you need to put them on blast. I would be ticked if I had to pay... at the very least get them to change over the title.

Comment

If it keeps up report it stolen.

Comment

Received a call from a guy today who sold a trailer 3 years ago and has been getting notices and now a bill from impound yard in California at $100 a day. They told him until it sells at auction in a month it will keep on accruing $100 a day and they will hit him with any difference between storage fees and sales price (if lower). I get a copy of the buyer's DL, bill of sale/contract and file the portion of the title/other paperwork reflecting the sale (sell, sail) with DMV.
              Last edited by RR 314; 05-24-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Report stolen or blast him on the green screen

Comment

You can declare a tag as sold when selling used vehicles. There is a form you fill out and fax in to the state. It works for vehicles, so I don't see why they wouldn't have one that works for a trailer. Both have plates and titles. The way it was explained to me, the form takes the vehicle out of your name so you aren't hit with tolls and photo tickets. They just keep them on file until the new owner registers the vehicle in their name. That's the way it was explained to me by the lady at the DPS headquarters in Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                    If it keeps up report it stolen.
                    This is what I would like to do especially with the toll fees over $100 just last month! But I am sure it could back fire badly.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                      Received a call from a guy today who sold a trailer 3 years ago and has been getting notices and now a bill from impound yard in California at $100 a day. They told him until it sells at auction in a month it will keep on accruing $100 a day and they will hit him with any difference between storage fees and sales price (if lower). I get a copy of the buyer's DL, bill of sale/contract and file the portion of the title/other paperwork reflecting the sale (sell, sail) with DMV.
                      I will know in the future!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                        You can declare a tag as sold when selling used vehicles. There is a form you fill out and fax in to the state. It works for vehicles, so I don't see why they wouldn't have one that works for a trailer. Both have plates and titles. The way it was explained to me, the form takes the vehicle out of your name so you aren't hit with tolls and photo tickets. They just keep them on file until the new owner registers the vehicle in their name. That's the way it was explained to me by the lady at the DPS headquarters in Austin.
                        I may go in person to see if I can get help....over the phone I was told I had to have his name and bill of sale. I remember his first name and TBH but that's not helping.

Comment

VTR-346.pdf

Last edited by BrianL; 05-24-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Username of dirt bag? I'm sure it's one of the classifieds Commandos that only buy and sell in the classifieds and don't participate in the rest of the forms.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X