Tilapia in a bass pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilapia in a bass pond

Anybody tried it? We’re picking up some tomorrow and I’m curious if stocking them is really going to live up to the hype.

Have not but would assume any fry would be eaten by the bass. My bass ate everything. Perch can keep up and large cats but that was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They Grow fast and are good food for those bass but they will all die when it gets cold which makes the a perfect boost for the bass. I talked to a guy who put them in his pond last week.

Comment

I've heard they are great. I have considered stocking them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
          They Grow fast and are good food for those bass but they will all die when it gets cold which makes the a perfect boost for the bass. I talked to a guy who put them in his pond last week.

Same thing I’ve heard, hence why we’re trying it. But I’ve yet to talk to anybody who has done it, besides the guy selling the tilapia[emoji41]

Comment

I did. There weren't many left to die that winter, but it's like a food plot , you put it there to be eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              I did. There weren't many left to die that winter, but it's like a food plot , you put it there to be eaten.

Did you notice any significant difference in your bass size or health?

Comment

It works well. I stock them in small “bait fish” ponds we had built. What I do is buy 20 lbs and wait til their offspring are about 3 in long and then set traps and keep moving the fingerlings to our ponds with predators. Last winter when it got really cold we had dead tilapia everywhere lol. Buzzards had a field day

Comment

i put some in my 10 acre pond 3-4 years in a row. honestly never saw that much of a change in my bass so i stopped spending the money on them just for them to die off every winter. They will help your bluegill population rebound if they are suffering, that was a positive out of them.

Comment

I was under the impression they were a restricted species and had to be permitted.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                      I was under the impression they were a restricted species and had to be permitted.
                      same here. like koi or that type of Asian carp. but the bayou behind the house has them. vegetarian fish?

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post

There are different types. The ones I get die when the water temp gets below 55-60 degrees

Comment

Tilapia spawn a lot more times a year than any other fish, so you have all that extra food in your pond, and they die off when it gets cold. I would say go for it.

Comment

My dad did it a few years ago and we have yet to catch/see any of them. He was told to fish for them with marshmallow pieces. We tried it and never caught one.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                              Did you notice any significant difference in your bass size or health?
                              Not really, but I don't know how you can compare that. I also had coppernose bream and fathead minnows in there so comparisons would be a guess at best. They surely didn't hurt anything though.

Comment

Working...
                              X