What to expect around Menard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to expect around Menard

So I have been invited to hunt just north of Menard the weekend before Christmas. I haven't ever been to that area and don't know really what to expect.

The people im going with aren't really deer hunters per say, mostly dove, so I haven't been able to get much information on the type of deer, any exotics, or just what kind of game to expect.

All ive been told is its a 1700 acre lease and it is a 5 deer county.

Can anyone shed a little light for me on what to expect so I can figure out what I need to take (rifles, bow, shotgun)?

Do you know who owns the ranch? I have been on most of the ranches in Menard County but I do not know many of the hunters by name. Traditionally, some of the better deer have been killed north of Menard. Not as many axis unless someone moved some in there over the years. Not as many hogs as other parts of the county.
    Adios,
    Gary

Comment

Most mature bucks are going to be between 140 to 160 lbs on the hoof. A big doe will go around 80 to 95. A lot of the area is oak mott type country, but I have also seen some mesquite flats out there too. Moderately heavy prickly pear also. Unless they have some long, cleared fence rows or roads, 200 yards will be a long shot out there. There are also quite a few grey fox in the area if you like to predator call. Not too many coyotes or bobcats where I have hunted in Menard County. Not too many big trees suitable for tree stands. My suggestion (if the landowners don't have feeders running) would be to start corning a road in a good looking area and build a good ground blind or brush in a pop-up.

Comment

The lease is north east of Menard off of 190 and Callan ln.

I'm pretty excited because this will be a different area than I have hunted before and more acreage as well.

looks like I will take my ground blind with just incase.

Any idea if there are turkeys around in that area?

Comment

Working...
        X