This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ron View Post
    Great write up and some nice shooting Michael. Now where are the LDP's?
    x2

Comment

Holler back yo! What is the update on SACA? Inquiring minds want to know

Comment

Well I did not get to fling an arrow on any game with Sacagawea, but I gave it my best shot and I enjoyed my time with the bow. I took it with me on opening weekend however I left it at camp because of the down pour. I hunted all day in the rain Saturday and did not want to expose a bow that was not mine to that type of punishment.

Saturday afternoon I was able to put a decent shot on a nice 3 year old spike that I passed on last year. I had put some doe urine in two spots 20 yards to my left and right and then ran a sent drag between them 10 yards in front of my tripod. The rain broke that afternoon and the spike came out on the opposite side of the pasture from me. Well as soon as he got down wind of the doe urine he came in on a rope straight to the spot on my right. I was really surprised that the rain had not washed the sent away completely. I had my Bob Lee Recuve with me, but I was wishing I had Sacagawea at that point.

It went down as if I had scripted it, the spike sniffed the first spot a few minutes and then nose down followed the sent line toward the spot to my left. Second part of my plan was I put some Acorn Rage down right at the spot I wanted a deer to stop for a perfect shot threw the Oak limbs that kept me concealed. As the spike stopped and began to lap up the Acorn Rage I came to full draw aiming for the right behind his front leg, the arrow connected , a bit high for my liking but a fatal hit none the less or so I hoped. After the shot I kicked myself for not taking Sacagawea to the stand with me. However it turned out to be a blessing of sorts.

I left the deer sit for about 30 min and then began my track. As I followed the blood I could tell that I only got the offside lung due to the blood spray on the vegetation. I followed blood for 100 yards and the skies opened up on me again washing away most of the blood trail. My brother joined up with me at dark and we managed to follow the trail a little further to a spot were the deer either jumped a fence and went into a knee high hay field or turned back into the woods. The spike was not recovered. I was glad at that point that I didn’t have Sacagawea on the hunt. That’s the ups and downs of bow hunting though.

I took Sacagawea out again this morning but nothing was moving in the high winds. All in all I’m glad I got to be a part of this endeavor and share my story. I will be sending Sacagawea off to the next archer; I hope they have as much fun as I did with her.

Comment

Well, i got a PM today from Michael ( Meateater ) that said I will be receiving Sacagawea
          sometime this week. I hope to be able to do some deer hunting with it this weekend.
          I have yet to go to the lease this season. I went to E.tx opening day and like most of you battled the rain. This weekend I plan 3 days at the lease but knowing the bow may be here on friday i rekon I'll wait till sat. to get in the stand.
          i'm looking forward to this opportunity to make a memory with the trad. gang

Comment

Good luck with her, Kirby!!!!! I'll be watching for your reports.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks Bisch, I'm told it should be here by Thursday. That will give me the opportunity to take it to the lease with me. I'll shoot it a lot on Thursday afternoon and Friday to get a feel for it. With any luck I'll get a kill with it.

Comment

Nice write up, and good luck Kirby!

Comment

Good luck Kirby.

Comment

Hammer time K! Great write up ME!

Comment

well the bow came today, headed to the range tomorrow for a little practice before going to the lease.
                      What is the ideal brace height for her?

Comment

Around 8"

Comment

Thanks, I'll put her together tomorrow and practice some

Comment

Good luck Kirby. Have fun with the little lady.

Comment

Waiting for updates, once again....best of luck.

Comment

Well my friends, Sacagawea is on it's way to Jason. I didn't get to do much with her. I got her in time to take her to the lease with me the next day. I shot it a bunch but never got comfortable enough to take her to the tree with me. Since than I have not been to the lease. I probably should have taken her to NM with me but I was paranoid something might happen to it. I sure hope one day she makes the rounds again because I'd sure like to take her to the tree one day

Comment

Working...
                                X