Bowfishing Sam Rayburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowfishing Sam Rayburn

Hello, TBH anybody know of any decent spots to shoot some carp and big gar in Sam Rayburn on the southern end. Preferred near buck bay. But would like to hear whatever y’all got ! Thanks !

Basically just hit the water and start looking, hit the backs of cove and the points, and keep an eye on what the fish you see are hanging on and look for more of the same. Are you wanting to fish day or night ?
    Rayburn is more of a big fish lake and not a numbers lake, The buck brush usually keeps you of the bank into deeper water. There is some big gar in the lake and they tend to hang close to the deeper water but don't expect to see a lot of them more like trophy hunting big bucks, But there is a lot of huge buffalo's in there .I've shot them up to 60 lbs and the biggest gar we pulled out of there was about 140#

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
      Basically just hit the water and start looking, hit the backs of cove and the points, and keep an eye on what the fish you see are hanging on and look for more of the same. Are you wanting to fish day or night ?
      Rayburn is more of a big fish lake and not a numbers lake, The buck brush usually keeps you of the bank into deeper water. There is some big gar in the lake and they tend to hang close to the deeper water but don't expect to see a lot of them more like trophy hunting big bucks, But there is a lot of huge buffalo's in there .I've shot them up to 60 lbs and the biggest gar we pulled out of there was about 140#
      Mainly at night, and thanks! Would you say Toledo bend is better as far as numbers and quantity goes?

Comment

Wait until August or whenever it gets real hot. I used to see gar "sound" in groups in the river.

Comment

Only been to Toledo once and we did pretty good. Heck go to both .LOL !
          How long have you been bowfishing ? I started in about 92 or so and good grief I wouldn't even want to guess how many hours and how many fish I've shot .LOL thousands of both,

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
            Only been to Toledo once and we did pretty good. Heck go to both .LOL !
            How long have you been bowfishing ? I started in about 92 or so and good grief I wouldn't even want to guess how many hours and how many fish I've shot .LOL thousands of both,
            You and Robert still fish a lot? I haven't been in about 3 or 4 years.. Always seem to be doing something else these days... Still got all my equipment... maybe this year.

Comment

We've cut way back the last few years LOL. just not as good as it used to be.
              We got to the point we only like shooting tilapia, LOL

Comment

Yea, I used to tear up the tilapia on conroe before they put that fresh batch of carp in it... Ain't nuthin' green growing in it now... upper end is too muddy to fish most of the time... fish are still there, just can't see 'em...

Comment

We used to shoot huge buffalo (up to 60 lbs) in the summers 15 years ago mid-lake. We would occasionally see and stick big gar also, but we weren't really rigged to fight them. It was always just trial and error to find the fish. Haven't been in so long I wouldn't know where to start.

Comment

Working...
                  X