Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so here’s the story! This is the property I grew up hunting. Over the years it has gotten worse and worse for deer hunting. 3 years ago was the last time I shot a deer out here and have seldom even gotten any pics of deer, especially in daylight. Just too much human activity I guess. A few weeks ago I decided to move my cameras away from the feeders since the deer don’t really come to the feeders any more anyway. Last week I checked them and was surprised at the fact there was actually a few deer moving in daylight. I hunted all weekend out at my lease and had no intentions of hunting today. I went out this morning to check the cams and had pics of deer moving really often through one particular area. It’s kind of funny because it’s only about 50-60 yards from one of my feeders and have never gotten a picture of any of those deer at my feeder. After seeing those pics I wasn’t sure if I was more excited about setting up a treestand or opening up the box that Sacajawea was shipped in. Well as soon as I opened her up and put her together I went and set up the treestand. Due to the shape of the tree I had to set my treestand a little higher than I’m use to.
    After a little shooting and tuning I decided I’d give it a whirl. Made arrangements for my parents’ to watch daughter for a couple hours after I picked her up from school and the next thing you know I’m way up in a tree swaying in the wind. Had some turkeys walk by but never came into range. Shortly after I had a doe walk out and almost came into range but changed her mind and circled around eating fallen leaves along the creek to my west. She circles around directly downwind from me and meets up with 2 other deer. Luckily the Skunk Fusion works great and they start meandering my way. The only problem is they are DIRECTLY behind me. It’s like they knew it too because they kept serpentining as they got closer so I kept having to look one way around the tree and then slowly swing around the other side as they changed directions. As they finally get within bow range and I’m trying to get into position for a shot the momma doe looks up straight at me and give me the “I just busted your ***” stare! But at the time, due to the elevation, I wasn’t sure if she was the big doe or small doe. I didn’t have a clear shot at her but I did at the closer one. As they started walking away the darker one gave me a quartering away shot. The arrow hit about 3” higher than I wanted but it dropped in it’s tracks. Even though it was a steep angle and figured it was a good shot into the lungs a flung a finishing arrow. As it turns out it was a button buck and not a doe. Meat in the freezer is always good, especially on my first day shooting Sacajawea! I’m using full length Heritage 150s with 150 grain 4 blade Magnus Stingers. Total arrow weight 520 grains.
    Last edited by Featherflinger; 10-30-2017, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I like it when a plan comes together.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Way to go Jeff!!!
        You DO know that you have to leave SOME deer for seed, right?
        Last edited by Hunter Todd; 10-31-2017, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Out freaking standing you lucky SOB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

The Travels Of The Bow Sacagawea

New update on my arrow setup! After dropping my daughter off at school this morning I thought about running out and trying to kill a turkey with Sac. Then I remembered I have a dentist appointment this morning so I decided to tune a little more. My arrows were hitting pretty good yesterday but weren’t exactly flying like I’d like to see (20 mph winds didn’t help). I’m really particular about that so I did a little more tweaking and now I’m shooting full length arrows with 125 grain points. Lucky for me I have a couple 2 blade Magnus Stingers, a couple Woodsman Elites, and a little Simmons Landshark that I killed a really big hog with years ago. This bow is shooting great which is kind of funny because at my draw length it feels like I’m shooting a toy bow.
            Last edited by Featherflinger; 10-31-2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Well, reschedule the dentist then go kill a turkey.

Comment

I’ve still got one more day off work so I’ll be back after them in the morning!

Comment

Awesome story Jeff! And good luck the rest of your time with Sac!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That’s not wasting any time getting it done congrats!

Comment

I decided to give her a slight temporary makeover. I decided to add a little meat and some slight palm swell to the grip. It’s just tennis racquet wrap so it’s easy to remove but I’m not real used to the small low wrist grip. She is shooting great for me now! I decided to bring her out to my lease today and hopefully draw some more blood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck Jeff!

Comment

Awesome!! Getting excited about this bow!! Looks like you have Sac figgered out Jeff!

Gulp!! I just looked and I'm next on the list........May be able to chase some Mulies at the end of the month....
                          Last edited by yleecoyote23; 11-06-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Just an update, Me and Sac are getting along just fine. Just need the animals to cooperate. Hopefully I can get in a tree this evening if the Direct TV guy gets done in time. Headed to the lease tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I can put something else on the ground while I have her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds lime a plan.

Comment

Good luck Jeff!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                                X