Adding static tips to recurve limbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding static tips to recurve limbs?

I am about to start on a new set of limbs for my takedown recurve. I have built several using the Bingham form and they all shoot good but I just have this innate desire to try something new this time. I have been rolling around the idea of trying to make a bow with some static tips. Ideally I would like to build a bow that is shorter but still shoots like a 62" bow (finger pinch, speed, quietness, and stability). I have come to the understanding that you can do this one of two ways.

First, a tip wedge can be added to the last 6 inches or so of each limb to stiffen it. This could be done by adding a wedge inside of the limb laminations or on the belly of the bow after taking the limbs out of the press. I have no idea how long to make the lamination or if one of these options is better than the other.

Second, I could make a new form that gives the limb tips a more radical curve. My understanding is that this could give the tips a mechanical advantage for most of the draw cycle and would keep them from bending as much. This seems like the best option to me since it wouldn't add any weight to the limbs but I don't know where to even begin with it. And I hate to just take a shot in the dark and build a new press.

I would really like some input from someone who has done something like this before. What did you do and how did it work?

I think you should try adding a tip wedge on the belly of your current limbs since you are concerned about them anyways. It would not be as cosmetically appealing but it would be a cheap proof of concept. I'm no help as far as dimensions.

I think that adding radical curve is a bad move. Seems to me that stability would be sacrificed.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	24341423
      This is a dryad that I have been looking into a little. Supposed to be quieter and smoother to draw than their other recurve a but like you said it is at the cost of stability. I hate the idea of adding any weight to the limbs but I think the idea of adding a belly laminate to a bow I already have is a good idea. It's not like I'm bow poor. Then I could see what it does to the draw weight and shootablility without much work. I'm surprised I didn't think of that

Comment

I would go with option two of building a whole new press. I would use ULS black glass and I would build the same exact stack and wedge.

Several bowyers have been successful at this check out the jack kempf Kwik Styk if you wanna see one of the best. Jack is up in years now (mid to late 80's) and still builds a true static tip every week.

Comment

I'm curious as to how it could be quieter with more limb/string contact.

Comment

the tips dont bend as much as a regular recurve so there will be less slap

Comment

Originally posted by dmaxshawn View Post
              the tips dont bend as much as a regular recurve so there will be less slap
              Ah that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by dmaxshawn View Post
                i would go with option two of building a whole new press. I would use uls black glass and i would build the same exact stack and wedge.

Several bowyers have been successful at this check out the jack kempf kwik styk if you wanna see one of the best. Jack is up in years now (mid to late 80's) and still builds a true static tip every week.

Comment

If I get another recurve it'll be a static tip. Mostly cause it looks cool. Post up some pictures of what the finished idea looks like!

Comment

Working...
                  X