Young but solid east texas buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjf9730 View Post
    X2 id like to use some type of management guidelines at my place but I'm surrounded on 4 sides by people I have no control over.
    Isnt that most everybodys problem? Other than members that cant control themselves.

Comment

Hard for some to let deer walk he was on his way to be a wall hanger..

Comment

Nice buck congrats. Looks older than 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
          he ain't gonna get any older or bigger now.
          x2

Comment

Judging by that boys smile I say anyone who would have a problem with him killing it is the one with the problem.
            Antler addiction has a way of taking away from the experience
            I agree it is probably 3.5 but in the grand scheme of things... Does it really matter?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              Judging by that boys smile I say anyone who would have a problem with him killing it is the one with the problem.
              I agree it is probably 3.5 but in the grand scheme of things... Does it really matter?
              Totally agree. Its not always about killing the biggest deer around. If it makes you happy......shoot it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                Obviously the genetics are there, I can see it on the 3 yr old with the long 4s, that's awesome. Being a small east texas place I'd say feed the heck out of it! And any deer with any kind of potential let go to 5.5. I Say 5 And NOT more because obviously it low fenced and small property. ..going longer is a huge risk.
                What he said..... That deer was headed for greatness..

Comment

I say if someone pays there money to lease ground it should be up to them on what they want to shoot as long as it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonesplitter View Post
                    Totally agree. Its not always about killing the biggest deer around. If it makes you happy......shoot it!
                    Agree here too. What may not be a true trophy to some may be a deer of a lifetime to another.

Comment

Guys! No one ever told him he screwed up. He's one of the four that hunt the place. Yes he was happy with the buck and we were proud of it also but afterwards he said he wished we would have had more history with the deer and that he should have let him go. The buck w chasing a doe and was in view for about 10 seconds and on his way in the woods. We weren't mad but all agreed that it would have been awesome to see what that deer turned into.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
                        Guys! No one ever told him he screwed up. He's one of the four that hunt the place. Yes he was happy with the buck and we were proud of it also but afterwards he said he wished we would have had more history with the deer and that he should have let him go. The buck w chasing a doe and was in view for about 10 seconds and on his way in the woods. We weren't mad but all agreed that it would have been awesome to see what that deer turned into.
                        Sounds like y'all have a good group. Learning and growing is part of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
                          Glad to hear no one heckled him about it and took away from his accomplishment. Congrats to the hunter.

Comment

Looks like a darn nice deer, if it's legal and he didn't violate any lease rules be happy for him.

Too many times we seem to get hung up on age or score when we're really out there to have a good time.

Speaking of good time, gotta go slay a big nanny....later folks.

Comment

A very good friend of mine used to always tell me "if he's big enough to mount, he's big enough to shoot". A trophy to one is not always a trophy to another. If your happy enough to spend $500+ on a shoulder mount, he is big enough and old enough to kill without feeling bad about the management plan.

Comment

not trying to offend

Originally posted by flywise View Post

I agree totally. If it is a trophy to someone and it makes them happy to be as big as that deer is right then, then who gets to determine a trophy? I am always on board with game management when it is realistic, but why go to the extent of taking away from another guys happiness over what he was able to do. Just my .02. And I will say I was obsessed with it til my kids and family started hunting with me and realized that in the grand scheme of things to have fun with it makes it a better hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X