Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdO View Post
    All it needs is some folks to post something. Haven't got a clue how you'd get there though.
    http://hoodbowhunters.org/phpbb
    I'm there.

Comment

Originally posted by HoffDawg View Post
      I'm there.
      Gotcha! Thanks for showing up!

Once we get enough folks on there I'm going to have a couple give aways for some custom made pocket knives.

One is made in Thailand by a guy that used to make fake Remington and Winchester rifles until the governnent smacked him down and he started making knives. Asian Stag and Mother of Pearl handles. I hadn't figured out the second one yet.

Comment

All it needs is some folks to post something. Haven't got a clue how you'd get there though.
        I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by ballisticbudda View Post
          I'm in.
          Originally posted by HoffDawg View Post
          I'm there.
          I am also in there

Comment

Originally posted by walkin stx hank View Post
            i went out and pulled a card today and i have a few doe and a couple young buck's hanging around.
            nice pics.

Comment

Are there any light weight options that you can carry in/out easy to get your pop-up off the ground?

Comment

have 3 bucks that are using my feeder pen now that i have water and fenced the pigs out. Do not have good pics of the two bigger bucks but got a good one of the smaller of the three. Looks to be a good season , the two bigger look to be about 16" and 20" wide. This guy needs a few more years.Click image for larger version

Name:	waterbuck.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	24010349

Click image for larger version

Name:	waterbuck1.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	24010350

Name:	waterbuck2.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	24010351

if you see the big pile of corn in the background I had a cow jump in the pen and jostle the feeder until all of the corn was out on the ground.

Name:	watercow.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	24010352

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
                  have 3 bucks that are using my feeder pen now that i have water and fenced the pigs out. Do not have good pics of the two bigger bucks but got a good one of the smaller of the three. Looks to be a good season , the two bigger look to be about 16" and 20" wide. This guy needs a few more years.[ATTACH]261748[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]261749[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]261750[/ATTACH]

if you see the big pile of corn in the background I had a cow jump in the pen and jostle the feeder until all of the corn was out on the ground.

[ATTACH]261751[/ATTACH]
                  Good pics. Good luck this season.

Comment

Hey Robert your the man

Comment

Still haven't seen any deer on my cam. I got sign around my stand, and I seen where there were 3 old stands within 50 yards of my stand. Hope they start showing up soon. Thinking about putting some acorn rage out, see if that will bring them around.

Comment

nice looking bucks would say 3 1/2 needs another year

Comment

What is your opinion?

I would like to know your opinion.....

This year my plan is to do more bowhunting. If I get a chance at a deer that is legal meaning 13" spread or 1 unbranched antler, I am probably going to take a shot unless it is just a small deer.

Will you do the same or are you going to be more management minded? I don't want to upset anyone I just want to get a census on what the majority would do.

I believe to have bigger deer in the future you have to let younger bucks walk but I also know that if you don't shoot a legal deer, the hunter in the next tree probably will.

Comment

I don't know how many guys hunt on fort hood. I looked at the harvest report from last year, and it looked like alot of young deer were shot. Where I come from, we never did any management. I have never aged or scored deer before, but where I am hunting, if it is legal, it is down.

Comment

Seems around here if it is brown it's down? I'm doing a management thing on the tiny 100 acres in which I hunt. Basically, I do a self imposed antler restriction, don't shoot any does if they are with yearling.

There is a gene in the deer out there where all of the bucks are odd points, with the exception of the one or two spikes. Only got one buck worth shooting coming to the camera. There a a bunch of smaller 10"-13" wide bucks out there, but they are very young.

Comment

Lance on public land I primarily focus on the doe population early season, for a few reason.
                                1. I got more tage for does
                                2. there are more does than buck
                                3. Have to fill freezer and with more doe it is a bit easier to harvest them
                                4 I focus on the older does, past prime

If a buck was to walk by my stand and was leagal, and it was early seasonit would depend on genetics, all goofed up I would put it in the freezer, nice rack, young age I would let walk till the next year, IF he is still around, on Hood that is probably not likely.

On my own land, I have a doe population from heck, so when I get back, I may just kill off doe this year I have 2 nice bucks on camera but they are young so they get a pass for the next two years or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X