GM drivers... Ever had this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM drivers... Ever had this happen?

I was at the lease this morning driving across one of the knee high soybean fields and suddenly my truck slips out of D and into N. I'm thinking maybe I didn't have it in D properly and it bounced out of gear.
    I try to shift back to drive but the selector won't go down so I try R and it goes into R but then the selector handle just falls to where 1st should be. I could move handle full range of motion but there's nothing connected.
    My buddy slides under truck and finds the shifter disconnected. He pushes it back together and I'm good to go. It's only held together by a nylon cup pressed over a ball like joint, kinda like dropping your trailer hitch on the trailer ball, but without any type of keeper.
    Anybody heard of this before?

What year model? It's been awhile since I worked on one of those but I'm thinking there should be something holding it into place.

Comment

With God as my witness that happened to me about an hour ago.
      Parked the trailblazer and 5 minutes later I jump back in to leave and I got nothin.
      Took about 20 min of searching for a solution inside before I crawled under and saw the cable just hanging there. Slid it back on and made it home.
      To hot to jack it up to see what I need to do to keep it from happening again

Comment

It's a 2013 GMC 2500 4x4. It's a sick feeling when your in the middle of a lease in nowhere land and your dead in the water.

Comment

Buy a Toyota

Comment

I am pretty sure there is a recall on that. I took my 2014 in to service the theft detergent and while there they took care of two warrant issues one of which felt with something like that I believe

Comment

get a real truck
              dodge
              ford
              toyota

Comment

Ain't gonna tell you what to buy, that's you'r choice, but it has happened to me twice. Not to mention a few other unrealted minor problems. Mostly with nickle dime wireing issues. This is over a number of years (since 85 or so). GM builds good trucks, but the seem to have an abundance of nickle dime issues.

My son-in-law drives Toyotas and is happy as a clam with them.

I want a Diesel. Rumors of Nissan coming out with one, but haven't seen anything.

Maybe a Ram I'm confused.

Comment

Had it happen on a dodge 2 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by txdhunter29 View Post
                    I took my 2014 in to service the theft detergent
                    What scent did they fill with?

Comment

I had it happen on my Trailblazer and wife's Uplander. Not sure if they have one for your truck, but try this link http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index....3mjc1mhgg98kc4

The one for the Trailblazer is perfect and should have been designed this way from GM. I had to "make" a spacer for the Uplander.

Comment

Originally posted by jhall239 View Post
                        get a real truck
                        dodge
                        ford
                        toyota
                        What an amazing helpful post.

Comment

When I finally got to inspect my issue it appears that the rubber grommet on the shifter cable has given out and will not hold the shifter lever pin.
                          Looks like some Gerry riggin is in order maybe even one of those pins in the link above.

Comment

My 92 GMC 3/4 ton got bumped into Neutral on the freeway once. I was following my buddy and something fell off his trailer. I think it was a piece of firewood, but not sure cuz it was dark. Only caught a glimpse of it as it went under my truck. Thumped underneath and bumped the shift linkage into N. Dropped it back into D and it was fine.
                            Not really the same thing, but I never get to tell that story haha

Comment

I had it happen in a 1970 Z28. Cotter pin broke on a shifter linkage on the Muncie. It was definitely a surprise. But not in a truck. Sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X