history channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

history channel

just said that their Egyptian replica composite bow fired arrows in excess of 300 fps anyone heard this.??? seems kinda of skewed numbers to me

I know the Turks who I believe invented the composite recurve bow made some pretty impressive distance shots.

300 fps is a pretty high number though.

Comment

i read somewhere that native american braves had to pull back bows of over 100 pound pull so ya never know! then again i have no idea if that is even true

Comment

Originally posted by dallascowboys View Post
        i read somewhere that native american braves had to pull back bows of over 100 pound pull so ya never know! then again i have no idea if that is even true
        I heard that too. I'm calling B/S on that one. I think it would be hard to make a 100 wood bow that would hold up plus the size of the cordage needed to make the string and spine of the arrows would tend to be a probem IMHO.

Comment

win&win makes a 300 fps composite recurve bow now. Not sure of the name of it but I watched a video and it was pretty impressive. Not sure the Egyptians had that type of technology, but heck they built the pyramids.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
            I heard that too. I'm calling B/S on that one. I think it would be hard to make a 100 wood bow that would hold up plus the size of the cordage needed to make the string and spine of the arrows would tend to be a probem IMHO.
            Didn't the English War Bow guys shoot bows in excess of that? I thought they were all wood?

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              Didn't the English War Bow guys shoot bows in excess of that? I thought they were all wood?
              It has been a while since I have read up on all of that but I have a decent book collection at home.

The english did have some pretty heavy bows. From what I remember the indians in the east had longer lower poundage bows for deer. The plains indians had heavier poundage very short and short drawn bows for shooting off of horse back. Close range weapons.

The English had better bow making tools and more technology back then. They had good long yew trees to work with so that a long easier pulling heavy bow could be made. They had strong linen for strings.

The indians were still scraping wood with rocks. The indians were still using sinew for strings if it rained they were in trouble. Did not even have the wheel yet.

Comment

Working...
              X